Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith Burner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanGouge, Mar 13, 2001.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Hi, um this is my first post here, my name is Dan and I live in Canada. Anyway, I saw a Ken Smith Burner (black, Jazz style PU's active circuitry, Rosewood board) for what appears to be a pretty decent price ($900 Cdn, or about $600 US), anyone have any experience with Smith basses? I understand that the Burner was an entry level model and that's about the only other thing I know about it.
    -Dan

2. Welcome Dan. i have no experience playing Ken Smiths, but as long as there's nothing seriously wrong with that bass, the price can't be beat! Did you try it? Did you like it? If so, go buy it, because it won't last long at that price.

3. Hey Dan!
    I own a Ken Smith Burner 5 String Artist with maple woods. True they might be considered an "entry" level instrument, but only an entry into the quality of instruments that Ken and his crew produce!My bass was made in 1990 and still plays nicely. I also have a Ken Smith Elite 6 String fretless in black walnut. This was made for me in 1996.
    I'm sure if you by the Burner, in a few years, you will be ordering a custom made Ken Smith!!!!
    Take care
    Chuck

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Dan,

I used to have a Burner 5 string Deluxe model. I posted a review of it at www.harmonycentral.com which says everything I can say about it. It was a very nice bass. As someone else said, it's entry level if you're talking high end professional basses. There are not very many stages I would climb onto and feel out of place with that bass. It rocks pretty good.

I bought mine used for $750 and sold it two years later for $700. Could've gotten more but I was in a hurry to move it.

Hope this helped.

Peace,

James