Ken Smith compressionwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Taurus, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    Well I finally got around to picking up a set of the Ken Smith compression wound strings and I have to say that I'm mightily impressed with them.They have an ever so slightly smoother feel to them but retain the brightness of traditional roundwounds.As a much appreciated bonus,they have relieved about 85% of fretbuzz that i was experiencing in the upper registers[ie from the 12th fret and upwards towards the body.I can't figure out exactly why they've helped so much in this regard but I'm not complaining about it by any means.I was faced with paying a tech to do some work on the frets to alleviate this but now I'm thinking I'll save the money.
  2. been using them on my fretless for a little while now. i didn't like them very much for slapping but they are the best strings i have ever had on my fretless.

i also was very impressed :D
  3. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I use the Ken Smith double balls for my Steinberger XL and they fit the bass to a tee. However, I put a set of KS's (I don't remember the exact model) on my Alembic Essence and I never heard this bass have a worse tone. It just must have been the wrong combination. Very odd thing indeed.

Tonight I got my order from of Alembic Compression Wounds and restrung. Life is good again.

4. I'm using Ken Smith Slick Rounds on my AmDlx P-Bass. They feel good, and have really brought this bass out for me. I was using D'Addario half-rounds but, they sounded so dead on this particular bass. Not being a fan of rounds, I experimented with halfs. I highly recommend them, at least for this model bass.

I suppose if KS strings are as good as his basses are supposed to be, they ought to be good strings.