Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith: Construction

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hi Ken,

Just this week I picked up my new BSR6P from the store here in town, and I have to say that it is a beautiful instrument not only to look at, but also to play and to listen to. I played it for the first time on a gig last night and got a lot of great comments on all fronts. It's the first Bass guitar I've ever owned that felt like an instrument rather than a toy (Most of my gigs are on Double Bass), and I can tell already that this bass is going to open up a whole new world of possibilities for me...so before I go any further I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for making such a great product! It is and will continue to be greatly appreciated and valued.

My question is about the construction of the bass. It's appearance is so striking that everyone who sees it asks all kinds of questions about it and what it's made of, and I don't know the answers! The top is some kind of curly maple, and the core is a darker wood which looks like mahogany or walnut (clearly, I don't know my woods very well). The fingerboard is looks like either a very dark rosewood or a striped ebony. When I ordered the bass, I wanted one just like the one I had seen about a year previous in the same store, so I wasn't worried about what it was made of...and now that I have it, I'm wondering what all of these woods are. Can you help me out? The serial # is: 6P207102F.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ken,

Thanks much. There was a tag on the case, but the ink on the tag was smeared and therefore illegible. I imagine you'll get a referral or two from this bass, since every bass player who sees it gets GAS immediately, and those who play it start doing mental calculations of how much money they have in their bank accounts. Excellent bass all around.

Peace,

Chris