1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ken Smith CR 5 Strg.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tritonus, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Tritonus

Tritonus

Nov 29, 2001
    Hi everybody,
    New to this forum I thought the best way to introduce myself is to ask a question:
    Has anyone of you ever made some experience with a Ken Smith CR 5 bass? Primarily I am interested in its B-strg. performance as well in the overall playability and sound.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Hi Tritonus, and welcome! As a long-time Ken Smith owner, IMO you just can't go wrong with a Smith. The B string response in particular is excellent, among the best of the best. The CR (Chuck Rainey) model has the "vintage" body shape, one I am particularly fond of, although my current Smith has the new(er) BSR body shape, and I've grown to love it.

As far as playability is concerned, I've played every high-end and low-end bass you can imagine, and nothing has "fit" my hands better than a Smith. Of course this is quite subjective. You can feel the quality of a Smith bass the moment you lay your hands on one. Quality of workmanship and customer service are unsurpassed. The only other bass I feel can compare is Fodera...but at an average of $2000 more than a Smith, IMO the Smith is a much better value.

3. Tritonus

Tritonus

Nov 29, 2001
    Hi Craig, thank you for your prompt response. Could you tell me if $2,000 is OK for a mint condition 2nd hand tiger maple CR model.
    Since here in Europe these basses are not so easy to get a hand on, I have now idea about what would be a fair price. Thks again!
    Cheers.

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I paid $2000 for my used 1988 5 string in 1997 and I sold it two years later for $1800. I'd say you'd be paying at least a fair price for that bass. Check out Ken's site at http://www.kensmithbasses.com and you should be able to get a comparitive price for a new CR5...my guess would be, depending on options, somewhere around $3500 (list price minus 25-30%).

Certainly, play the bass first. But if you fall in love with it, as I predict you will, $2000 will seem like a bargain.

5. I used to own a CR model (6-string), and it is a very nice bass. No problem whatsoever with the B string. I would say $2000 is at about the ceiling of what I would pay for one. See if you can get it for a couple hundred dollars cheaper.:D

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Keep in mind, he's talking $2000(US? I don't know) for a Smith in Europe. Chances are that's a very good deal.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I think $2,000 for a Ken Smith CR5 in Europe is a pretty decent deal. Sure you could probably do better, but you'd be looking long and hard with no guarantee of ever finding another one, let alone at a reasonable price. Tiger Maple makes a very striking appearance on this bass. As for playability, my teacher has one in walnut so I had a chance to play it several years ago. First real high end bass I'd ever layed my hands on (I don't count Fender and Music Man). First 5 string too, I think. It was amazingly easy to play and I thought it sounded incredible.

If I were in the market for another bass (who isn't? ;) ) I CR5 or CR6 would be on my list.

Peace,

James

8. Tritonus

Tritonus

Nov 29, 2001
    Thank you guys for your responses, which are very helpful to me. Since I got this $2,000 offer from a dealer here in Europe I consider it being rather reasonable because I could even drive to the music store and check out the bass carefully or have it shipped to me with minimal shipping charges. Which means that a comparable instrument for around 1,800 USD imported from the US would be more expensive in the end (although I have the opportunity to import goods tax and duty-free).
    At www.basspalace.com they have a CR5 for $1,895 at the moment. I never dealt with them so I have no idea if they would be willing to give me a discount on the bass or if their prices are non-negotiable.
    However, I think I will definitely go for the CR5; and when I'm looking at all your comments and also at your personal profiles with regards to musical influences etc., I believe that I will not go wrong with the instrument. Believe it or not, but this is going to be my first own five string bass after playing a 4 string for 28 years.
    Once again, thanks a million for all your comments and sorry for my delayed response owing to the time difference between the US and Europe.

Cheers.

9. Very good point ! I agree.