1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ken Smith EQ settings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassartist, Feb 17, 2018.

1. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    I've had my Ken Smith BSR5M for many years, love it. I'm interested in how do you guys set your eq on your Smith's? Because I do some slap stuff I usually boost bass & highs a little. But I'm getting into more fingerstyle playing and really liking boosting the mids to get better clarity and articulation. So what do you do?

2. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Ok, I'm going to ask again.... What settings are you using on your Ken Smith? Which pickup do you favor or keep it in the middle? How do you set your bass mids? My bass does not have series/parallel switches.

3. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    If I had a Ken Smith I would tell you how I have it eq'd, don't give up, someone with a KS will ring soon RRRIIIGGGHHHTTT gals and guys...

bassartist likes this.
  4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I boost bass and Treble and leave pickup pan centered on both.

bassartist likes this.
  5. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Yeah , that's pretty much I have mine set as well. But with finger style, I need more mids on the D & A strings.

6. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Centre everything on the bass and try and get the sound from your amp first. Also, if your model has dip switches, I'd look there as well.

bassartist likes this.
  7. tom_capasso

tom_capasso

May 15, 2002
    Wantagh, NY
    I visited Ken yesterday, as I'm considering buying a bass and have always loved the neck.
    I've struggled with the tone in the past, but had no trouble yesterday with a neck-thru BSR.
    While a few settings worked, what I liked best was:
    boost the bass (maybe 20% past center), cut the treble (10% off center) and move the blend to 66% is neck PUP.
    The DIP switches that are now part of the preamp sound like they can "center" you anywhere you want, though I didn't get into the control cavity.
    FYI - Ken was very welcoming and the quality and beauty of the work is stunning. As is his very deep wood stock...

zortation and bassartist like this.
  8. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    I usually keep my Smith blend knob in the center position, boost the bass a little, mids a bit, & treble boosted a bit.. usually my switches are in the “up” position (series) most of the time. Also, i seldom use an amp, & go direct to house with Iem’s.. love the Smith tone!!

9. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks guys for your replies. I also have a LEJ5 which is a totally different animal and I’m having trouble figuring out which one I like best.

10. I always find the notion of having an EQ set in mind to be unusual. Each bass from a boutique builder sounds subtly different, to my ears - and every instrument sounds different in every room. If I don't like the natural, unadorned sound of a bass with the EQ set flat, I probably won't enjoy it even if I'm tweaking the controls (I say this exclusively in respect of cut/boost preamps rather than filter based systems). I use the EQ to push me back towards an ideal sound rather than relying on it; ie: cutting the bass in a boomy room or boosting the mids in a swampy mix.