Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith factory tour

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Jun 20, 2001.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    hey, i thought i'd share this cuz it's cool..
    a couple months ago I took a tour of the Ken Smith factory in Persakie, PA, since I live close by, and when we got there they told us that the usual tour guide wasn't in, so Ken Smith himself was going to give the tour to us! "holy crap!!" Ken Smith not only makes incredibly beautiful looking and sounding basses but he's also a really nice guy. He explained a ton of stuff to us in each "department" or whatever you call it, and the tour ended up being like 2 or 3 hours long (he took that much time out of his day to show us 4 people around!!), and I really learned a ton about making quality basses from scratch. he took us into the different rooms where basses were in different stages and explained how they laminate the woods together and polish everything and choose the PERFECT woods...Ken is a really picky about the woods he uses, if there's a small knot in the wood or blemish or anything he said he throws it out, or burns it in their wood stove heater to heat the building (since it's a small factory), so next time you play a Ken Smith bass, really enjoy it because it's made with super care!
    If you live by some guitar or bass shop or anything I think that you should check it out and see if you can get a tour...you may not be as lucky as me and actually meet and get the tour by the luthier but it'll be educational either way!!
    keep rockin
    Chris

2. i've had a Ken Smith 6 for a few years now and I absolutely love it. it took a few months to come in once, i ordered it, but it was well worth the wait.

3. I played my first Ken Smith at Rudy's Music Stop while in New York and was blown away by its playability, tone, sustain, and beauty. I own a Vintage 5 Sadowsky and must say its an extremely fine instrument also.
    Luthier extraordinaires such as Ken Smith and Roger Sadowsky deserve their success due to their incredible attention to detail, craftsmanship and genuine concern for customer satisfaction. ( see recent Sadowsky post with Roger's commentary)
    I've endured several mediocre basses through the years but these two guys, and there's others, help make playing fun with their outstanding quality!

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I saw a really cool documentary/factory tour of the Ken Smith factory on a local cable channel called PCN (it's like C-SPAN for just Pennsylvania). :cool: The same channel has also done good programs on other interesting PA businesses such as Martin Guitars and Mack Trucks. I live maybe an hour from Perkasie ... one of these days I'd like to get up there and take the tour in person.

5. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    hey Oddentity, I would strongly suggest driving the hour up to Perkasie and taking the tour!! Get a couple of your buddies to go and call them up and ask (there was only 4 of us including me when I went). It's a really small place, when I went I was thinking like a huge factory, but it's not. It's an awesome tour and you learn a ton of stuff about making basses and everything. get off the computer and go :)