1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ken Smith/Fodera?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allenhumble, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Yes; Vinnie Fodera worked for Ken Smith before moving on to create his own business in the early 1980s. Vinnie was responsible primarily for the woodwork, while Ken would run the business - meaning that it would certainly be possible for instruments such as this one to exist if they were built before Vinnie began his own company in 1983.
    ...not a bad bass, either. Mos'def a rare find.

2. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa
    Of all the knock offs and iffy things that come through evilbay, I have a feeling that this one is the real deal.

3. "Paging Mr. Smith.
    Mr. Ken Smith, please pick up the nearest white courtsy telephone...
    Mr. Ken Smith, please pick up the nearest white courtsy telephone, Thank You"

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  5. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    not only is there no verification, but there isnt even a descrpition. when i sell my next bass on ebay im gunna use the title "probably was played by god" to draw in the religious folks

6. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    The small print (in small red font):

Note: I am grateful for the answers to a few of my questions that I just received from the Smith shop. As a result, I have updated the description in an attempt to ensure accuracy and maintain integrity. I welcome any input as these gorgeous Smith instruments have wonderful histories. Thanks to those who provided input.

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

I gues you haven't click on the link I posted before you answer :rollno:

TO make it easy for you here's the quote from Ken Smith:

The Neck Joint is actually 'Smith all the way' no matter who does it. It goes back to my days with my old friend Carl Thompson before the first Thompson Bass was made. I was in a car accident around 1972 and my DB was damaged at the neck joint. The restorer made a nice grafted Ebony cap on the back button touching the neck along with two grafted 2" wide strips on the upper ribs touching the neck to replace the missing wood. When Carl was starting his Bass design which by the way was copied from MY personal hybrid Thompson-Fender made from a '51 P neck and a '61 J body, I told him to put a piece of Ebony under the neck and carve the heel into the body so we have a dark seperation strip bewteen the body and neck. So he did and it became a Thompson trade mark. Spector Basses had a single piece laminated to the heel and the first Smith Basses had two layers with a Morado strip between the neck and maple heel cap. So, there you have it. The evolution of the laminated neck heel as we now know it. It actually came from a Double Bass (upright) restoration done by an old German Master by the name of Peter Eibert. I have played that Bass recently at my friends house who bought it from me in early 1975 or so and it is still holding up.

I emailed the ebay seller on that Bass as he had mis-listed the history and still is to a degree. It's much closer now so we will just leave it be. Less than 200 Smith Basses were produced in NY and most of them had some involvement with Fodera but not all of them. Not a single Basses was ever completly made by Vinnie but he did do alot of the work on the ones he touched. Much of the Billet work was done by me after the first 16 along with another person. The first 32 went thru the Spector Shop to a degree but ALL of those Basses were completed by me personally in my Manhattan studio/shop. We made about 60 circuits like the one shown on Ebay. Only 16 Basses were made with one Pickup and the rest were two pickup models. One Bass for Stanley Clarke was modified to a 2 pickup model and later modified again with our latest pickup in 1982-83. Stanley had two at the time so he wanted one of them to be different.

I am always glad explain things about the history or my company as well as those that were involved. You just have to ask.

8. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    WOW. thats some great info.