Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith HOOTERS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Mar 12, 2004.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I propose Ken change the name of the Burners to Hooters.

I happened to notice that the winding thread he uses is the exact match of the color and sheen as the shorts worn by Hooters waitresses around the world.

I'm wondering if Ken has some business partnership.

Back to the strings. I have officially switched over from Rockmasters to Burners. medium-light, both my 4 and 6 stringers. The nickle strings tone is just superior for my current needs. No bristly ringing. I can have my treble all the way up without that harsh tone I'd get on any stainless set. Not that SS strings sound bad; I just had to back off the treble to clean it up.

Added bonus, they don't wear down my fretwires.

Nickles are the way to go.

Go where?

Hooters, of course.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Purple? I thought they were orange ?

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Burners are purple at the bridge and orange at the neck. I don't recall what the Hooters staff wears at the bridge.

I've been using Burners for years, they're especially nice on fretless. I have switched back to SS on some of my fretted basses after using primarily Nickel for the last 5 or 6 years.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Actually they are dark blue at the ball end and bright orange up at the top.
    Do you think that Hooters should pay me a royality for using my colors?
    Or at least an invite and a free drink? Huh?

Glad u like em Zulu......

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I stand corrected... haven't really looked at them since my first set on my Zon. Probably saw a bit too much sun. The set on my F Bass is indeed a dark blue:D

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    huh...guess i've only used Taper core and slickwound sets which are purple on both ends...

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    OK, I am stupid but what is the difference between the Burners and the Rock Masters. I have used the Rock Masters for several years (like a decade I think) and really like them.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Burners are better

;)

I know I've tried the other Smith strings and they're nice, what sealed the deal for me on the Burners was that they were the only strings that sounded exactly like I wanted on my Zon fretless 5. The Burner NPS strings gave me just the right balance of punch and clarity... and felt great too.