1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ken Smith in his own words...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 18, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I had never heard him talk before, and I know I’m not the only one, so here he is.

Garret Graves, kobass, Saint and 3 others like this.
  2. GHOST AT

GHOST AT

May 24, 2011
    I saw Ken and his beautiful basses at a NAMM show in Nashville years ago, from his posts I saw on TB I kept walking! I have played two Smith basses they were stellar instruments, but not my sound.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I owned a bolt on Smith for two or three years, and I still miss it. As I said in another thread, Ken Smith basses are so well made, the great majority of owners will be spared from talking to Ken Smith.

salcott likes this.
  4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I'm not seeing anything here that constitutes Ken as a jerk. Either I haven't seen actual bad stuff from him, or people are way too sensitive (if so, total shocker today).

TolerancEJ, Dave W and jim nolte like this.
  5. He’s banned from Talkbass and I think he deleted all of his posts so that’s why you haven’t seen anything here. His basses are great!

songwriter21 and kobass like this.
  6. Well put!

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Do a search in TB. He can be very cranky. Frankly, I wish that neither Ken Smith or Jeff Berlin had been banned. I know it is a double standard, but I am willing to tolerate crankiness from legends in exchange for what they know.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    On TB...cranky...maybe.

In person...one of the nicest pros I've ever met. Great guy. Generous with his time and enthusiastic to share his knowledge.

It's a shame that people have that impression of him based on postings on here.

9. He's always been a straight talker but he is a master craftsman and I did used to enjoy his posts here.

10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I've talked with him a few times on the phone and at NAMM. He can be cranky or talkative - just depends on his mood. I will say that they make pretty instruments that are very consistent wrt sound and playability. In addition, I still find that his pickups and preamp are probably tie for my favorite with EMG PJ/Pope setup. The blend control on the Smith actually works far better than *any* bass I've owned.

This 6'er just showed up.

smith-3.

smith-4.

smith-5.

smith-6.

smith-7.

Attached Files:

11. Copperhead

Copperhead I've been here before. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    If I had to live in Perkasie Pennsylvania I'd be cranky too.

aproud1 and Stefan Verbeeck like this.
  12. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley

Is this your bass, what are the specs on this beautiful work of art?

13. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    shedua top, mahogany core. Standard Smith specs - 34" scale, 18mm bridge. Very pretty pieces of shedua on the top and back. Sounds like a Smith. Or I should say it sounds like I sound on a Smith. I don't sound at all like a lot of the gospel players who play Smiths.

TrevorR likes this.
  14. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The video sounds to me like a guy who builds basses and is trying to convey his philosophy and where they look to create market differentiation. Sometimes it seems that unless someone is apologizing profusely they are considered arrogant or abrasive.

Lance Bunyon and eastcoasteddie like this.
  15. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I love what he says about having a bass tone premixed for a record. I think that is a cool way to describe an active bass tone.

Absolutely love Smith basses but its more of a luxury buy right now for me. The tone works awesome on a record but it sounds like a ken smith which is not always what my clients want. I still personally love them.

TimB 619 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  16. That is stunning. Is that the Shedua top bass from Chuck Levin's? I had that link saved and would look at their Reverb pictures occasionally.

17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    As an over the road trucker, I drove through every state in the USA. Pennsylvania is extremely beautiful. It has some of the most amazing landscapes and wonderful farms.
    The homes are mostly meticulously maintained with lush green lawns in front and green pastures in back.
    Tennessee is also beautiful as is most of the USA.
    What a beautiful country we live in!
    It's not where you live but how you live your life.
    Ken Smith could live anywhere he wanted I suspect.....

18. If you have to call the shop ask for Dr. Jekyll. :D

Garret Graves likes this.
  19. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Same bass. I got a call for a web series soundtrack gig and decided that a 6 would be the right tool for at least some of it. I had a pair of Smith 5s a few years back that I regretted selling, and even installed Smith pickups in one of my Fodera 5s. For whatever reason the sound works for me. I went looking and that bass jumped out at me. Heavier than I'd like (10.7 lbs), but the Fodera 6'er I had was close to that and a couple of lighter 6'ers I had didn't really balance well seated.

My 5s had nice walnut which I'm typically a fan of but this shedua is very pretty. I also generally hate gold hardware, but with that top it looks right. My other Smiths I ordered with black hardware.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  20. Copperhead

Copperhead I've been here before. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    You are right of course. I probably should have put a smiley after my crack. My wife's family is from that general area and I have friends in Perkasie, that's how I know about it.

Nothing really wrong with it, just another old rust belt town that is still there after the things that put it on
    the map are not. Friends and family and life's experiences make home home, of course.

No harm meant. I'm from the N.E. originally, being a wisecracker is in my blood. :roflmao:

Ikkir and FunkHead like this.