Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith is OK in my book!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you guys haven't noticed, Ken Smith has become a supporting member & has started a thread about different types of wood in the <i>Basses Forum</i>. His replies are VERY INFORMATIVE & LONG!!!!!!! To me, customer support is 1st thing when it comes to buying basses & this to me proves that he cares about what we, the player, think & feel. Thank you Mr. Smith.

Personally, I'm not fond of his basses but now I'm going to put more time into playing a few of them when I see them.

<font color=red><b>Welcome to TalkBass</b></font>

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think it's way cool, too!

Unfortunately, I fear something I believe is already happening and will get worse: people will pose questions that he'll not be able to answer right away, and if he does answer at all, the answer will be buried in some forum.

What we should have around here is a luthier's forum just as we have a pros forum. Luthiers can come in and discuss and answer questions just as they're beginning to, but in a more organized setting.

Just a thought;)

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    The luthiers forum is in the works I am pretty sure. Paul has posted something about it. I know I read the post stating, just can't remember where it was located, it will be forth coming.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    he's really helpful, that thread is one of the most interesting here and this is a really interesting forum!

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I really like Smith's but they are out of my price range. I'd love one. It's super cool that he took the time that he did. Nothing like addressing the voice of the customer!!!

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think its great that mr. Smith is taking the time to answer all of our questions.

I don't think there was anything wrong with it. The other thread was WAY to long, and no one was really complaining anymore. If there were a huge thread slandering me, I know I wouldn't try and help it grow!

Bravo Mr. Smith!!! :D

P.S. I just heard a rumor Capital Music, in Missouri might start carrying your basses! That would be awesome!!!!

P.S.S. A luthier's forum would be really cool!!!

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    ok cool. I wasn't trying to say bass-only slandered KS. What I ment was in Ken Smith's eyes some of the posts were probably a little offensive, and he probably thought some of them to be "libel";) . I wasn't specifically refering to bass-only. I don't think he did anything wrong. I was talking about the personal attacks, and I was trying to see it from KS's perspective.

I'm sorry if I caused any confusion.

I can understand why you don't like, the opening paragraph. I just didn't see it as that big a deal. Sorry if I came across as trying to start a fight.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I will own a Smith bass someday...

Ken has a lot of bass-related innovations to his credit, including: printed circuit board electronics, detented balance and EQ knobs, quick-release bridge.

I suspect some of the flak he gets is started by dealers who sell competing brands.

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey KS, do any of your strings come without, the thread winding on the top. Normally I like thread windings, but since my bass is 35" I either have to buy Super Long strings, or Long strings without windings on the top.
    Thanks,

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    The First time i ever played A Ken Smith bass I didn't like it.. Of course it was a 6-string and I had only played on fours until that point.. I couldn't figure out all the knobs on that beast... Well... recently I got the opertunity to play on several different Ken Smith Models.. 5 and 6ers..... I love those things.. They are great great basses.. the tone. the feel.. I like em... But right now i'm to in love with my ray to want another bass... one day... one day