Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith KSD Bass - Long term thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fcoda, Oct 20, 2004.

1. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I did a search on the KSD bass and found several threads on the bass. All the threads are months old and what I am looking for is some feedback ( review ) from anyone who has used or still uses the 5er version of this bass , sort of a long term use review. I'm looking to get a jazz type 5 - main bass is MMSR5 - I have been thinking Skyline JO5 or DJ5 and from the threads I have read some thought the KSD to be as good or better but that was sometime ago . Has anyone's opinion changed and do you know if the production quaility has improved since the introduction of the Proto J .

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    My opinion on the bass hasn't changed even though I sold mine, for the price, its a GREAT bass, its a bit chunky and I had trouble finding a gig bag for it to fit into, but its an amazing bass for sure, just a bit heavy, and didn't compare to the MTD535 I was gonna get, only reason I sold it, I do miss it from sometimes though.

3. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Thanks Boi - I see you had a retro j in your ksd - was the stock bass unable to produce much tonal range. I'm looking to get a jazz type bass that can produce both a classic j sound as well as others that can't be done with my SR5 - I was thinking JO5 or DJ5 since I don't want to spend the $ on a Sad.

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The stock pre was great, but with the retro I felt it was better, I wouldn't have minded owning it without the retro, but I bought it from a friend/at that time he was also a retro dealer, and those preamps are AMAZING, I do admit they add a slight bit of color to your tone, but I like that extra color. I really can't comment on the Laklands too much as the only one I sat down with for a while at Guitar Center was poorly set up.

5. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Thanks again - now to find a shop that carries the KSD is the next mission . It took forever to find a shop within 50 miles that had a skyline 55-02 to try. To find a JO5 or DJ5 will probably be impossible.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Not nearby NYC are ya? :p They carry the KSDs at Rudy's I think. They have some Laklands as well.

7. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I know Rudys carriers both lines - I'm in upstate NY about an hour out of the city- I have to go in soon to David Gage's shop I will stop in to Rudy's on the way out.

8. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Rudy's had a real nice one tha last time I was in NY in August. I had a KSD proto J V5 and I liked the bass but it was very heavy for my old bones. I suspect some frets needed filing but other than that I liked the bass alot. the tone was really good and very flexable. Very playable also.

9. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I'm looking for a 5er - actually my son is so weight is not really an issue . I have been selling off my basses since I don't play out any longer . My son plays 5ers and I don't mind playing a 5er - I have one 4 left to sell , an old Ibanez Musician bass - we where going to get a Metro 5 but since his main bass is the SR5 we felt it was more $ then we needed to spend .

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If you have the cash, I'd say go for a Metro... Thats probably what I'll be using to replace my KSD with when I get the cash.