1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ken Smith KSD Bass - Long term thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fcoda, Oct 20, 2004.

1. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I did a search on the KSD bass and found several threads on the bass. All the threads are months old and what I am looking for is some feedback ( review ) from anyone who has used or still uses the 5er version of this bass , sort of a long term use review. I'm looking to get a jazz type 5 - main bass is MMSR5 - I have been thinking Skyline JO5 or DJ5 and from the threads I have read some thought the KSD to be as good or better but that was sometime ago . Has anyone's opinion changed and do you know if the production quaility has improved since the introduction of the Proto J .

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    My opinion on the bass hasn't changed even though I sold mine, for the price, its a GREAT bass, its a bit chunky and I had trouble finding a gig bag for it to fit into, but its an amazing bass for sure, just a bit heavy, and didn't compare to the MTD535 I was gonna get, only reason I sold it, I do miss it from sometimes though.

3. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Thanks Boi - I see you had a retro j in your ksd - was the stock bass unable to produce much tonal range. I'm looking to get a jazz type bass that can produce both a classic j sound as well as others that can't be done with my SR5 - I was thinking JO5 or DJ5 since I don't want to spend the $ on a Sad.

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The stock pre was great, but with the retro I felt it was better, I wouldn't have minded owning it without the retro, but I bought it from a friend/at that time he was also a retro dealer, and those preamps are AMAZING, I do admit they add a slight bit of color to your tone, but I like that extra color. I really can't comment on the Laklands too much as the only one I sat down with for a while at Guitar Center was poorly set up.

5. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Thanks again - now to find a shop that carries the KSD is the next mission . It took forever to find a shop within 50 miles that had a skyline 55-02 to try. To find a JO5 or DJ5 will probably be impossible.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Not nearby NYC are ya? :p They carry the KSDs at Rudy's I think. They have some Laklands as well.

7. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I know Rudys carriers both lines - I'm in upstate NY about an hour out of the city- I have to go in soon to David Gage's shop I will stop in to Rudy's on the way out.

8. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Rudy's had a real nice one tha last time I was in NY in August. I had a KSD proto J V5 and I liked the bass but it was very heavy for my old bones. I suspect some frets needed filing but other than that I liked the bass alot. the tone was really good and very flexable. Very playable also.

9. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I'm looking for a 5er - actually my son is so weight is not really an issue . I have been selling off my basses since I don't play out any longer . My son plays 5ers and I don't mind playing a 5er - I have one 4 left to sell , an old Ibanez Musician bass - we where going to get a Metro 5 but since his main bass is the SR5 we felt it was more $ then we needed to spend .

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If you have the cash, I'd say go for a Metro... Thats probably what I'll be using to replace my KSD with when I get the cash.