1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ken Smith KSD series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oliver, May 12, 2006.

1. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Hi

Has anyone here played one?
    Does anyone know where these are manufactured?
    they look good

many thanks!

Oliver

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Try a search.
    Lots of fans of them here.
    They have been talked about a lot.

3. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I played a 5er in local shop. It was alright. I didn't really care for the neck on it. It felt like a baseball bat cut in half. And it was really heavy. I was suprised by the heft of it. Tonally, it was pretty standard for a jazz, kind of like a Marcus Miller Signature bass. It was a far far cry though from a true Smith. ~(_8'(l) "Real Smith..........aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh........(insert drool here)........

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I had a fretless 4 for a while, and for the price, it was a really nice bass. Good neck, nice feel, nice construction. The preamp was so/so, but not bad in the price range.

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    i just recently got the chance to play a KSD 70s 5ver and i must say, that thing spoke to me. It's the best feeling and sounding bass i've ever played for under a grand. I like it even more than my old 55-01 :eek: I'm figuring out a way to get back to the store and buy it before it's too late :ninja:

6. I'm a trying them out at Brooklyn Gear in a couple weeks, I'll get back to yall. It is in my top 5 of possible buys.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I must comment on the comparison to a Marcus Miller Jazz:

I play a Marcus Miller Jazz, my bass instructor at college uses a KSD 605 5 string bass. Albeit it's 60's inspired instead of the 70's version, or the 70's inspired Marcus Miller, I noted to tone to be very deep and pleasing. Can't comment on the KSD 700 series however.

The KSD 605 is a wonderful sounding bass and the fit and finish are second to none for an import instrument, with the exception of not trusting the tuners (cheap import tuners that I'd replace fairly quickly if it were my bass) and if I were in the search for a vintage sounding five string the KSD 605 would be near the top of my list.

8. Mustafa

Mustafa

May 4, 2006
    Well, if they are Ken Smiths, they have to be awesome, right? We should expect top-notch quality from one of the most well-respected names in the industry, right? Just asking. . .

9. Ken Smith Design. He does not make these basses. He designed them.

Mike

10. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

But.... he does check out quite a few for Q/C and does sell some out of his factory.
    Check his web site for more Info

11. Caveat: Those basses weigh a metric ton.

12. clavefa

Very true that's why I sold mine.:mad:

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Mine wasn't heavy at all. Probably 9-9.5 lbs.

14. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I find it interesting that he's chosen to call these basses "Ken Smith Design". Ken Smith is responsible for other bass designs over the years, but this one is mostly the work of Leo Fender.:confused:

15. clavefa

As are all p and j copies ..... Sadowsky , Lull , Valenti , etc etc... This way you can distinguish between Smith MIA and
    the import ala Skyline:p

16. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I played a fretless 5 KSD (not sure of the exact model) and it smokes.

They have it at Low Down Sound and everytime I go in there I pick it up.

All black with a lined ebony fingerboard, black hardware, black pickguard.......sounds like another fretless 5 that someone here has!!!!:D

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've never played one, but they always look oddly "chunky" to me.

18. clavefa

I bought from LDS Sound although mine had fender dlx pups and eq. it worked great.
    If you don't mind the weight get one, I would guess that the 60's would be a bit lighter since those use alder wood?

19. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Yes, all of the p and j copies owe the credit of the basic design to Leo Fender.

My point was, the line of beautiful instruments that Ken Smith has become famous for really are based on an original "Ken Smith Design". Those are the basses that really deserve that title.

20. clavefa

I understood , if you look at how they are marketed they use the "KSD" more than Ken Smith, like the Sadowky Tokyo's or Metro's, G&L tributes. Maybe he could have thought of a better "name"?