Ken Smith or FBass Help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thump C, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    I'm looking for a 5 string? Two are for sale in my area? Ken Smith CR5M & FBass BN5? You are welcome to jump in with your pick? They are both used. The Ken Smith is like new mint with hard case. The FBass looks used and has wear & dings it comes with soft case.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    Anyone here have one of these?

3. slamsinger

slamsinger Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Coventry RI
    2 completely different basses ...
    Both are great basses
    If your into the "jazz" type tone with some flexibility go for the f bass
    If your into the growly mid bump tone go for the smith ...
    Pickup placement on the smith will give you a barky tone ala "the smith" tone
    The f bass has single coil mode also for more versitirly and standard placement ..
    I've owned a few of both and both are great!
    Just depend on what tone your looking for and what style you play...

Go on YouTube you'll hear the difference between them immediately .. there are plenty of videos on both and make sure you wear headphones when listeneing that'll yield the best for accurate tone of each bass

Good luck !!

Garret Graves and mindwell like this.
  4. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    Tha
    Thanks for that info! I'm really like the Smith and the cost. The Fbass wants $1000 more!

5. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    allenhumble likes this.
  6. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    OOOh nice. I've owned Fbass and played Smith. If I could get a Smith to sound like an Fbass I'd be happy.

bass08053 likes this.
  7. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    Thanks! I take it you like the Fbass over the Smith? Tell me why you like it so much?

Thanks again!

8. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
  9. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    1. the neck
    2. the electronics
    3. the toan

10. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    Thanks!

11. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    An Apple and an Orange. I've found that most of my friends who love the Smith Tone as well as a JB Tone own both a Smith and a JB of some sort. No way of getting around it. Set your priority. Is it tone or cost? Still these two Basses are in different places and have their own Signature Tones.

12. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    Thanks for your input. Cost or Tone? I'm in the middle on that!
    I come from Fender Jazz,P bass & Music Man StingRay, So I was looking for nice custom 5 string bass.

13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Nothing sounds like a Smith but a Smith. However there are many that emulate a good JB Tone. Good luck in your choice.

14. mp40smg

mp40smg Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    The Smith has it's own sound. Which is good if you like it, or bad if you don't. IMO..

the F bass can give you a bunch of different usable sounds from modern hi fi to standard passive Fender. It is simple to dial in a good sound and it can be the one bass to do everything at a gig. to me the eq is probably the most usable of all that I have tried, it is not the kind that you move it from the center a hair and it be comes almost unusable in how drastic the change is. You can go from 0-10 and every where in the range is a usable sound.

I have played a bunch of Smiths and I own an F bass.
    Just my preference.

15. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    Thank you!

16. baltodoc

baltodoc Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Maryland
    I've owned 3 Smiths. All incredible. The Smith tone is unique, but not that flexible.

17. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    I got the Smith CR5M for a great deal (Steal!)

Thanks!

Drocdbase likes this.
  18. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  19. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Vol - pickup pan - bass - mid - treble

Just play and twiddle them to figure out which ;)

20. baltodoc

baltodoc Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Maryland
    • Just go to Ken Smith's site. He shows the schematics.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021