Ken Smith or Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ben_P, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    There are 3 basses I'm looking at I'm obsessed with them all. So I'm leaving it in your hands.Oh, and by the way they're all brand new.
    1. Ken Smith BSRB Deluxe 6. $2610 Can.
    2. Ken Smith BSRB Custom 4. $2315 Can.
    3. Spector NS4CRFM (figured maple). $2045 Can.
  2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    The spector. I bought mine about a year ago and love it death, it has become a favorite.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I'm a bigger Spector fan than I am a Ken Smith fan, so I vote for Spector.

Another consideration, however, is that Ken Smith's customer service is known to be pretty bad, based on some recent posts here in TB.

On the other hand, I've had the good fortune to work with Stuart Spector a few times. I've found him to be open, honest, caring, and willing to answer ALL of your questions and make sure everything is handled the way you'd want it handled.

Mr. Spector handles customer service in a way that I think many don't care to anymore.:D
  4. I'm gonna say Spector all the way. Also, i have heard a lot of people complain about their Ken Smith's after having them for awhile. How they aren't the sound they really want that much and it sounded good in the beginning. Also, someone on this board talked all about how awful the Ken Smith customer service is if something gets broke. Look it up in the search. just search Ken Smith and look for an appropriately matched subject that would suggest that it's the right one.
  5. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Couldn't help but notice that 2 of the basses you describe seem to be 4 stringers, and the other is a 6er. Are you seriously contemplating playing 6 strings, or considering it 'cause the look and the price are right? If you aren't sure about whether you want 4 or 6 strings, you may want to stick with 4.

Now, to try to answer your question, Ken Smith's BSR-B line is their lowest valued product. I used to have a 5 string Ken Smith Burner Deluxe. The BSR-B replaced the Burner a few years ago. I thought it was a very nice bass. It'll never be confused with Smith's top of the line stuff, but it's good for what it is. I never played a Spector, so I can't really compare the two.

I'm guessing that $2,610 CDN is somewhere around $1,500 US. If so, you can probably do better pricewise, even on a new BSR-B. I'd try to get it down a couple hundred bucks. Of course you can do much better if you consider buying used.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Spectors are very nice, but I'd take a Ken Smith any day, especially if it had soapbars.
  7. well.. I don't want to get into Customer Service, because I have never needed any service.

anyhow.. CRFM is better quality bass and better sounding than the burner model of Ken S. IMHO
  8. Well I am going to go out on a limb here and "assume" you have played both........

If not, then you had better do so before laying out that kind of $$$ for any bass. A-B the both of them real thouroghly to see which one is really "YOU". Go back more than once on different days, that will give you some perspective on the dynamics of each bass with a fresh mindset.

But since you asked, if I were to have to choose b'tween the two mfg's I, obviously, would go with the Czech made Spector, prefering the newer 35"scale 5'er personally..... Dead.... come on now, time to support me!!
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    C'mon, man! You know that both these guys HATE Spectors!:DLOL
  10. Come on RAM, support your brand!!!:D

Yeah those two are notorious Spector bashers!!;)
  11. Present and accounted for!!! The CR Spectors are definitely a much better buy than the BSR Ken Smiths. If you have the chance then do a comparison. If you can't then take RAM, RIZ, Mr. Fortune Cookie, ThunderStik and my word which is to buy the Spector. You will not be disappointed!!!
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, I played alot of Smiths. I wanted to like them, I really did, but they did nothing for me. I don't remember which models they were but some were in the $1800-2000 & some were in the $3000+ range.

IMO, The Spector NS CR basses are the BEST BANG FOR THE DOLLAR!!!!! I've had many NS-4 CR's & NS-5 CR's & I currently have one & It's on eBay because I have 2 Kramer Era USA NS-2's & I don't need 3 4-string Spector's right now.

I'll put it another way. Now that Stuart made the Czech Spector's w/the crown inlays & nicer figured bodies, <font size=1>(having owned 4 USA Spector total)</font> I wouldn't buy a <u>brand new</u> USA Spector AGAIN. The Czecks are just TOOOOOOO close to the USA models. The only way I would buy a USA is used @ a good price!!!!!

I say go for the <i>"Czech-tor"</i> all the way!!!!
  13. ...and of course take NINO's word too!
  14. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    As far as 6 strings goes yes I would prefer it but it is not that much of an essential. Although this bass isn't going to have any higher end brothers or sister, so it has to perform I lots of different situations. But I have played all 3 of the basses.
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Since it's your money and your ears, hands, etc, what was your opinion?

Did you like one over another?

What about feel?

Does one suit your needs more than another?

If you can answer any of these questions, you have your answer. If you're looking for a comparison by reputation, just count up the number of "pro-Spectors" and the number of "pro Smiths".

Then, count up the number of negatives of each.

Or, ask different, more specific questions so we can try to help you more.

Other than that, I still say go for the Spector:D
  16. And the "Church-of Spector" says:

Amen !!!

(I knew everyone would show up here!):D
  17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you're set on a 6 string, look into the USA Bolt on. I've played a few of the 5's & I liked them.