Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith Pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pepito, Oct 14, 2004.

1. When I bougt my Fender Jazz bass second hand it was already equipped with Ken Smith passive (I'm assuming) pickups and a two band, stack knob preamp (Vol., Pup Pan., Bass/Treble). I really loved the sound of that setup. Unfortunately, my bass was recently vandalized and the neck pickup was destroyed. I'd like your opinions on two different courses of action:
    1. How do I obtain a direct replacement?
    2. What do you think about trying a different kind of pickup in the neck position, such as a split-coil.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Email or cal Ken Smith. He sells parts. www.kensmithbasses.com
    According to a recent thread, the Smith pups are four-wire, so you can do series/parallel/single wiring as you wish.

3. It looks like he only has soapbars for sale on the website. No Js or Ps. :crying:

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'd ask about the J-shapes if you're interested. It's always possible he offers them, too- no harm in asking. After all, your Fender had them when you bought it.

5. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I agree, I would call Ken Smith. I also think he does in fact sell the jazz pick ups along with the soapbars.

Willie

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Call me and describe your pickup. We have made a few different versions of the Js over the years. All of our Js have been humbucking. Only the Burner Js were 4-wire. The rest are 2-wire. We wire them in Series because there is not enough power (as compared to our soapbars) in our opinion to wire them in Parallel or S/P.

7. Yeah, it looks to be humbucking. It's actually broken in half and I can see that the poles are wound in groups of two.

What about the idea of throwing P style pup in there?

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Bart has a J they describe as being a P within a J housing. Whether that's tone wise or construction wise I don't know cause I haven't had that pup. Also assuming you like bart tone.

If you liked the previous tone you had, I'd stick with that personally. I'm still looking for a P pup I like myself. But I've got a set of KS j45's that are mint I'd sell for what I have in them if you're interested. I've been holding them for a guy for nearly two months and that's long enough in my book.

----------------------

A bit suprised this thread has not been shifted to the pup forum