Ken Smith Pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pepito, Oct 14, 2004.

1. When I bougt my Fender Jazz bass second hand it was already equipped with Ken Smith passive (I'm assuming) pickups and a two band, stack knob preamp (Vol., Pup Pan., Bass/Treble). I really loved the sound of that setup. Unfortunately, my bass was recently vandalized and the neck pickup was destroyed. I'd like your opinions on two different courses of action:
    1. How do I obtain a direct replacement?
    2. What do you think about trying a different kind of pickup in the neck position, such as a split-coil.
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Email or cal Ken Smith. He sells parts.
    According to a recent thread, the Smith pups are four-wire, so you can do series/parallel/single wiring as you wish.
  3. It looks like he only has soapbars for sale on the website. No Js or Ps. :crying:
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd ask about the J-shapes if you're interested. It's always possible he offers them, too- no harm in asking. After all, your Fender had them when you bought it.
  5. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I agree, I would call Ken Smith. I also think he does in fact sell the jazz pick ups along with the soapbars.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Call me and describe your pickup. We have made a few different versions of the Js over the years. All of our Js have been humbucking. Only the Burner Js were 4-wire. The rest are 2-wire. We wire them in Series because there is not enough power (as compared to our soapbars) in our opinion to wire them in Parallel or S/P.
  7. Yeah, it looks to be humbucking. It's actually broken in half and I can see that the poles are wound in groups of two.

What about the idea of throwing P style pup in there?
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Bart has a J they describe as being a P within a J housing. Whether that's tone wise or construction wise I don't know cause I haven't had that pup. Also assuming you like bart tone.

If you liked the previous tone you had, I'd stick with that personally. I'm still looking for a P pup I like myself. But I've got a set of KS j45's that are mint I'd sell for what I have in them if you're interested. I've been holding them for a guy for nearly two months and that's long enough in my book.

A bit suprised this thread has not been shifted to the pup forum