Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ken smith question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbasscase, Nov 11, 2003.

1. jbasscase

jbasscase

May 10, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was at Guitar Center last week and there was an old Ken Smith Burner sitting there (they wanted $1400!!!!!)- I really liked the way the neck felt, it sounded good, it was way too neck heavy- but, what!!!!!!! What a rip-off. I might want a higher end Smith, I see used BSRJ5's on ebay once in while. So my question is- will the neck on one of those (the width, etc) be very similiar to the Burner- only way, way better???? Also, does anyone know a 5-string Ken Smith owner in the Minneapolis area that might let me come over and play on it for a minute??? I really want to play one before a big ebay purchase like that.
    I just bought a Modulus Quantum 5 off ebay and i LOVE it!!! And my other main gtr is a mid-90's Carvin LB75, the necks were thinner back then I think. I bought another LB75 a few years ago and hated it. Based on the two basses that I like, with the thinner necks- any suggestions on other brands to try (not Ibanez!!)???
    I will be in So. CA next month- where should I go to shop, shop, shop for basses? I want to play a Ken Smith! What about Chicago? I will be there next week.
    Help me.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The 'J' , 'M' and all other USA Smith Basses have wider spacing at the bridge end (18mm spacing as opposed to 16mm Burner spacing). The nut is about the same but feels wider because of the extra taper provided by the bridge.

Give me a call tomorrow in the shop and I'll look a few places up for your travels.

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

That was nice of you Ken. If you like the Ken Smiths so much (and I don't blame you), you seem to travel quite a bit. Use some of those frequent flier miles and visit Ken's shop (if he allows that sort of thing).

I can just see it now: Ken Smith says, "Come on over next Tuesday." He goes to work on Tuesday with every talkbass member from the Philidelphia area waiting for him at the front door.

Sorry Ken. :D

4. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Bassmanbob, Thanks for offering my services...lol

Actually that's not that far fetched. I have visitors and tours here every week. Maybe you should come along with him when he visits!

5. jbasscase

jbasscase

May 10, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would like that... taking a tour.

Thanks Ken, I will give you a call! rock on-

jen

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Glad you like the Modulus, J. :)

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'd love a tour... and maybe a purchase too. I just started playing again about 2 1/2 years ago. Just before I started again, my family and I did the southeastern PA vacation. You know: Philly, Lancaster, Hershey, Crayola and back to Philly. Had I known at the time that you were there, I would have loved a tour.

We'll do DC and Gettysberg when the kids are a little older. I'll sneak an afternoon to come for a tour on that vacation. They'll want to go back to Crayola for a few hours.

Purchase: a bass, some wood, or a bass and some wood. :meh:

8. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Sounds good to me. We are between Philly and the Crayola factory.