Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith Series/Parallel Switches

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robin Ruscio, May 4, 2004.

1. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I've got a KS 6GN with a tiger maple top/ walnut core, and i've been thinking of adding series/parallel switches to get an even darker, fatter humbucker fingertsyle tone, which is what i'm going for more and more. But i've not seen many KS with this option so i'm not sure if i'll dig it, was wondering if some of you who own elite or other models use your switches in series mode. The cost is 3 bills + shipping, includes setup job, resheilding and new strings , as well. Anyone have sound clips they can send me with an A/B comparison?

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a 4 BSREG with those switches. My preference is series on the bridge pu and parallel on the neck. I like the slightly thicker kick off the bridge. IMO the KS is a dark sounding bass to start with and if that's your thing these switches are just the ticket. In series these pickups are definitely that. But that's a pretty good hit for having those switches installed. Personally I enjoy the bass just the way it is. It's nice that they're already there but I wouldn't go for them as an add on. YMMV.

I'm afraid I can't give you a sound byte in example - hopefully one of the other Smith owners can.