Ken Smith strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SteveBassJr, Jul 31, 2017.

1. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song!

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I am going to try some KS slick rounds to replace my D'adderio chrome flats.
    I have read that they are a fantastic string and will give you that low end that flats do while bright enough to cut thru the mix.
    Anyone use these?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. In order to get as many responses as possible, it might be worth noting the KS Slick Rounds are the closest cousin to the GHS Brite Flats, both half-rounds made by GHS using the same nickel-iron alloy (Alloy 52) for the outer wrap.

I've read quite a few positive reviews on the Brite Flats, although I have no experience with them myself.

Root 5 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I like the KS balanced tension set on my BTB, so I might try these slick rounds, sounds good!
    I already put half-rounds on my guitar & like that.

SteveBass5 likes this.
  4. These ended up being my favorite string among every other type of flat wound. The strings have a great balance with each other from top to bottom and when worn in, don't give you that dead as a door nail E string thud that many flat wounds have. Neat thing about the Ken Smith sets are the variation in gauges compared to the GHS sets. The medium light slick wound set will probably be the next set I string my Precision with instead of building a custom set from single strings of Brite Flats.

SteveBass5 likes this.
  5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

For my fretless,I've been using GHS Boomers since 2007.
    I just ordered a KS six string set through bass strings online.

KS_TCRL-6 Ken Smith Custom Balanced Round Wound Bass Strings - 6 String Set
    Type: Taper Core Light: .028 .040 .058 .080T .102T .120T
    KS.jpg

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

The Smiths came.
    They are in.
    I like them.
    Although I really can't say why.

7. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I use Smith Slick Wounds on one of my fretless basses. I really like them on that instrument, definitely an improvement in both sound and feel over the Smith Compressors or LaBella 760N tapewounds that I tried on that bass previously.
    Never tried those Slick Wounds on any other bass though. But I do use Smith stainless steel roundwounds on most of my other basses.

TimB 619 likes this.
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The only Ken Smith set I've tried were Burners, and they were very good strings.

9. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    In the 1990s I tried Ken Smith stainless rounds and found them to be high quality and comparable to other high quality sets at the time. Wasn't a fan of the purple silks though.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021