Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SlapDaddy, Jan 21, 2002.

1. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Ken Smith...good, bad? Thanks...

2. jazzbass2001

jazzbass2001

Nov 2, 2001
    I've been using the Rock master 100/40 set for a while now, bright and last a good while.

Started using the 5 string set on my Skyline and quite happy with those too.

3. I use Burners on one bass and Compressors on another.

I have loved them for years.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Good, I say.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good, for the most part.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Suits my preference. I use them, though I wouldn't say exclusively.

7. They're great...for 4-string. However, I've found two things:

1. The standard set does not have a long enough winding length to reach the nut on a 35" scale.

2. The string tension on the extended-length set is almost painful. A .125 Rock Master feels like a .135 by any other manufacturer. They're so tight that I can't have very high action while using them if I want any speed at all, and since I like to have some variation in my finger attack (I also use a pick from time to time) I get into Buzz City.

I played a brand new BSR-J fiver at Bass Central about 5 months back. The Swami said that the first thing he did whenever he got a Smith is take the Smith strings off and replace them with Spectors. He said that a lot of other Smith dealers do that.

8. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
  9. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    i love my smith slapmasters, the brightest things ive ever heard. last a good long time too

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I love 'em. I've used them exclusively for years...even before I owned a Smith bass. Every time I try something else, I regret it and go right back. Now I buy them in bulk and forget about experimentation...these are it for me.

11. Smith Rockmasters are definitely for me (on my Rapture, anyway). Very bright at first, you have to be a little careful with your technique to not get noises. Pretty soon though, they just sound freaking huge. Even dead, they sound pretty sweet.

I went months with my old set when I moved here, looking in at every music store I passed, hoping they'd have some, until finally last week I found a store that sells them. I could potentially just order them from Ken Smith, at two 5-string sets for $50, I think. But I wanted to find a place locally for when I'm in a crunch.