Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith Vintage Jazz basses. NEW!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Has anyone heard anything about these basses?

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    they will retail about $999 - they will have a sunburst/rosewood model and an ash / maple with white block inlays model- i have to re check my info.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    here ya go..
    [​IMG]

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    and...
    [​IMG]
    these will be quite a bargain.....

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I just don't understand why. Nobody has to try to explain it to me though, thanks. :)

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i understand, Geshel- but for others...
    the Korean thing seems to be working for some- So peope follow up on ythe idea- i happen to think there will be a few of these sold- mainly because of the price point- its cheaper than building one yourself- And they have a proven look - i suspect the ash/maple ones with the block inlays will sell well- at $700-800 for a fiver.. some people will snatch them up-
    i am just happy to provide info

7. It looks just like a Fender. I think Fender started making these like forty-something years ago but I'm not sure.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    does anyone else notice the close proximity to Sadowsky's shop? as in they're in the same building!?!?!

:confused:

9. Are you serious!?!

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Same address! Maybe Nino knows more about it.

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey, I live in Brooklyn I'll have to check that out!

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You took the words right out of my mouth, bro! Interesting the way things go in the business world sometimes...:confused:

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Didn't Smith and Sadowsky both start out together in that luthier's collective with Spector, Steinberger, Fodera and whoever else? If I'm correct about that then that could have something to do with it. Just throwing out some blind guesses here.

brad cook

14. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    What I don't understand is that the specs all say 21 frets, but the image is of a 20-fret instrument. Anyone know why there is this incongruity?

15. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    You'll notice that Ken Smith has started selling parts again and has come out with this relatively inexpensive bass (as most all other high end guys have done or soon may do). Based on the economy, I suspect that because new high end instruments are indeed luxury items, they haven't been selling as well. Ken has a family and bills to pay like the rest of us and therefore may have tweeked his business plan a bit to span the gap until times get better. Or maybe the public has told him to build somthing that everyone can afford - I don't know. I'm not saying that he's not offering a fine instrument here - after all, he has a reputation to maintain, however I see this as his attempt to appeal to the masses - "A Smith in every home".
    I'd be interested in reading a review. I suspect it's a well built, OK sounding quality Smith product.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    thanks for the info, Ken - and i hope you donnt mind that i posted the brochure from NAMM- peace, Adrian

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That makes sense, but I'd have thought that he attempted to do that with the Burner series.

If that were the plan, why not make less expensive instruments based on his own desings like Conklin's "Groove Tools"?

In this economic climate, a Jazz Bass design is probably a safer bet, but between Sadowsky, Lull, Fodera's NYC series, A Basses, Lakland, Pulcinella and others, is there a market for another Jazz bass copy?