1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ken Smith vs. Peavey Cirrus Demo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is an effective, but short demo. The Cirrus sounds more aggressive. The Ken Smith is more warm or mellow.

2. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    The big PRO of the Cirrus...way cheaper, with the Smith tone and then some...CON is that they haven't made that bass since 2010. Peavey has no more replacement pickups or preamps anymore, either.

Jesuguru, AudioTaper, tindrum and 2 others like this.
  3. Peavey

stingray69, AudioTaper and tindrum like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    They have made some quality import Cirrus basses since 2010, but not consistently from what I know.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I suppose that the Sadowsky Modern is the best Ken Smith alternative now that the Cirrus is defunct.

smogg, kobass and ElMon like this.
  6. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Meh, nothing worth mentioning...not even close to the US ones, unfortunately.

AudioTaper likes this.
  7. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I'm the black sheep on TB, as I was anything but impressed with Sadowsky (trip to NAMM). I 'd take an MTD Super or Lull M5 over a Sadowsky Modern any day.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    DWBass likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the MTD is great, but from what I have heard, it has more of a Music Man sound. The Sadowsky Modern has more of a Ken Smith sound to my ears.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Sandberg VM2 might be a good alternative:

dralionux, Bill Whitehurst and kobass like this.
  10. That smith is set with more of a scooped tone. I would imagine it could sound more like the cirrus with subtle pickup panning or some eqing in the preamp. I'm assuming they have the same formula of strings (nickel wound on hex steel core, vs steel vs round core vs whatever)?

Cirrus and smith are both great instruments.

tindrum, Dr. Cheese and songwriter21 like this.
  11. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Nino Valenti also makes a "Modern" bass with two soapbars close to the bridge.

12. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Hmm. Too many variables. Strings? Any eq juice goin on? The Cirrus did sound more bright and open up top, and I know this wasn’t a pro recording, but that B string sounded like garbage.

*edit

That Smith B didn’t sound particularly spectacular either.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 4.51.25 PM.png I didn't care for the Sadowsky Modern with the stock soap bars in it.
    But with Nordstrand Fat Stacks, it kills.

14. bass12

bass12 Have you seen my tonsils lately? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, the MTD 535s and Sadowsky Moderns really don’t sound much alike in my opinion, with the Modern sounding much closer to a Smith.

ElMon likes this.
  15. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Having owned several Ken Smith basses and many Peavey Cirrus basses I can say that I much prefer the tone and playability of the Cirrus basses. There is no comparison between the B strings and Ken's insistence on keeping the 34" scale is one of the reasons. Geoff Gould went to 35" scale and it is IMO the perfect scale length for extended range basses.

The electronics are wonderful in both Smith and Cirrus basses. The build quality is better on most Smith basses but......in every instance the Cirrus basses have set up better than the Smith basses. Whoever did the fret work on the Cirrus basses was an absolute master of the craft.

I presently own 4 Cirrus basses but also have one Modulus Q6, a Gould ggi6 and a ggi5. I would sooner play one of my basses than any Smith bass.

As always in preferences.....YMMV and probably will.

tindrum, raal, stingray69 and 5 others like this.
  16. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I still want a Smith, I think they really do have their own sound.

I have a Cirrus and a Sadowsky Modern. Both sound great but I don't think I'd confuse them. I prefer the Sadowsky, not to mention the neck feels a lot better to me.

The Cirrus does sound good though and the B can certainly sound a lot better than the demonstration.

Element Zero and Reedt2000 like this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was talking about the Super MTD, not the 535.

Chad Michael likes this.
  18. bass12

bass12 Have you seen my tonsils lately? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Okay, makes sense. I’ve never played a Super 5 and haven’t listened to many demos of them.

19. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    To my ears that demo sounded a lot more like the compressor than it did like either bass.

Dr. Cheese and Element Zero like this.
  20. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    As Paul Reed Smith notes, you can’t get from an instrument what isn’t there in the first place.

You can always roll back the treble, or knock back the top end sliders on a 31 band EQ, if an instrument is too bright. You cannot boost those sliders enough to add top end clarity to an instrument that does not have it in the first place.

KeithPas and daddymactx like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021