Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smiths?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brendan, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For monetary reasons, I'm looking into some Ken Smith Mediums (45-105). Are these worth it? Or should I go for something else, Fender 7150's? Or for the same price, some Rotosounds?. Again, I'm just looking for some input on the Ken Smiths, and need to know iif they're good, or if I should wait and get some others?

------------------
    "Did you say I'm JUST the bassist? Them's fightin' words."

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been using Ken Smith Burner Nickel strings for about three years. I love them, especially on my fretless.

3. Amplified

Amplified

Jan 19, 2014
    Cyberspace
    Love the Ken Smith strings. Perfect match for the bass.

bass6strng likes this.
  4. Smith Rock Masters are the only strings I've ever put on my 004, and IMO they sound a bit better after they lose the new-string brightness.

5. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Perspective: Ken Smith strings are made by GHS, with tweaks to the gauging, core/wrap ratios and scale length between the GHS standard offerings and the Ken Smith analogs.

6. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    Fender 7150s are pure nickel strings; they're great; I love them! But they are a warmer, mellower roundwound that still have some bark, if that makes any sense.

Aside from the SS strings, I believe all the Smith strings are made of alloy 52 (52% nickel/ 48% iron mixture). It's a highly magnetic, long lasting alloy with great sonic properties.

Ken Smith strings are an excellent product. And if indeed they're made by GHS, I like them even more! :)