Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken, this one's for you.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ispider6, Jun 22, 2005.

1. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
  2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    J.Cole Snr was a pupil of Tarr and then George Craske until 1858. He used a label and then after that stamped his name inside. (refrence, C.Stainer book c.1896). William Tarr did not have a very high opinion of his abilities. (Refrence, W.Morris book c.1904).

Craske favored his efforts. (refrence, Henley c.1973). Label used until 1858, then stamped inside.

James Cole Jnr., Labelled and Branded his Basses (refrence, Elgar c.1967).

I don't know if it is or is not Cole Snr or Jnr but the English did Brand Basses in various plases as well as Violins and Cellos, etc.
    This may be Cole Jnr. but according to all sources it is AFTER 1858. If the Bass is Labelled and dated inside, that's a different story. Dealers often pick the oldest or best dates to attain the highest prices.

This DOES look to me like a mid to latter 19th century Northern English Bass from Manchester where many Basses were made then. If it is stamed Cole, then it is most likely Cole. The wooden plate behind the neck is most likely an addition after some type of repair or neck break if not just a decoration. A makers 'Button' is almost NEVER covered up except from the necessity of restoration cosmetics.

Ask Barrie about the Brand, label and date of the Bass. I am sure he will share all that he sees on the Bass as well as what he thinks about it. These English Basses are often more Bass than one can imagine. I own two at the moment (English Basses) and working on getting a third.

Here's a pic of my Gilkes Brand at the Bottom by the Block/endpin; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/GilkesBass/198.jpg

Good luck and keep us/me informed of what you find out.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I just took another look at the Back. I right clicked, 'save as' 'ok' and opened it up and blew it up to 200%. There is that Classic Bohemian Purfling design under the neck button we see on many Basses. ContraBassShoppe in the UK has it too on the Klier Bass. The Wilfers have it too but smaller in size. The Czech shape differs slightly from the German version and the pre 1939s are more squat that triangular like the latter models.

I have trouble now believing this is English unless it was one of those like with Tarr that was imported and Englishized and than Named after the fact.

Experts?.. Your thoughts?