Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kennedy on Planet X "Universe"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jul 15, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I was just wondering what you guys think of the sound of his bass on this album. I know he plays Fodera but not sure if he records with them. Anyways to be honest I cant say I really like it...like I dunno it sounds pretty cool in Dog Boots but as for Warfinger.. I dunno I don't really like his sound. I much prefered Dave Larue when he performed it live on Live from Oz. the little bass fioll thingy in 2116 sounds good though. And the solos/playing itself is astonishing but I cant say the sound really creams my jeans more than it has to. Much prefer Dave LaRue's sound or even Kennedy'S sound on Moon Babies. What do you all think?

2. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Hi ya sargebaker

Yep i kind of agree with you about the bass tones on planet X's stuff i think it can be put down to the fact that bassist's upontill now(i see they just pulled in Rufus Philpot( http://www.rufusbass.com )as a perment bassist) have only ever been credited as "Guests" and not as full members of the band also as i recall Tony MacAlpine laid down a few bass tracks on the Universe album not sure which they are though ?

as you say La rue's tone is a lot better suited to planet x(i have a few other bootleg's featuring him as bassist)maybe its because he's more of a heavy/guitar fusion player than Kennedy so his tone cut's through a little more

I have Kennedy's solo disc "Basses Loaded" from 97 and his tone is much better(although i dont thinkits a stellar album tunes wise)there as it is on his work with Weckl

also if your into planet X you might like to check out Oz drummer Sam Aliano solo CD it's very much like planet X
    i recommend you check out a few tunes over at his site
    http://www.samaliano.com/music.html

laters
    Thonk

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Yeah Kennedy's bass just sorta sounds like it's farting on universe. IT's alot better on his solo stuff. This sam aliano stuff is pretty wicked! I'll have to guy buy some CD's! It is alot like Planet X but more different at the same time, I like it! who is playing bass for him? he has some good chops.

4. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Well the cd feature 2 main bassist Evripides Evripidou,Marcel Yammouni (unknow to me)& some keyboard bass programing by Phil Turcio which i have to say is so well programed its very hard to tell that it is programed!

To hear what i mean about the programmed parts check out the track's SUICIDE & ORGASMIC EGGS over on his site

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I Love this guys stuff, I have to go back to the music store (but I doubt they'll have it) So I'll have to order it. Thanks again for aquainting me with this guy and his work!

6. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    NP im glad to spread the word for quality artist's like sam and this is a really good cd id have to say its one of my fav prog/fusion disc of the last 10 years i dout you'll find it at your local music store :(

you can order the cd online from either

http://www.vorticitymusic.com/www/94/1000902/displayproduct/1001148_1001177.html

about $23 inc free shipping from Oz to anywhere in the world or you can find it at

http://www.audiophileimports.com/cg...0&type=search?search=Sam+Aliano&SUBMIT=Search

$19.99 without shipping but there US based so id expect shipping to be faster from the US to CA

hope this helps
    Thonk

7. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Thanks! I'll try to get around to ordering that ASAP Money is gettign tight though, expecially now that I found out when Yes/ Dream theatre are playing and now I wanna go see them.

8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    By the way Thonk, what do you think of their lineup change? It wont be the same without T-Mac, he was my fave guitarist. I kinda liked how they always had a different bassist, it was neat, and this Rufus guy doesn't seem to fit in from what I saw but I,m sure he'll do fine. Boy will i miss Tmac though.

9. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Because im in 2 minds atm.... ;)

First off i think its a great thing that they finally got a perment Bassist :)

And sure like you say all the other bassist they've had sub/record(fanklin,larue,Fierabracci,Kennedy,johnson,Sheehan)have done an amazing job,but i think having a bassist write bassist's parts is always better than having bassist play/modify parts written by other non bassist members

ive checked out some of Rufus's stuff and no dout he's a monster player,will his style fit well with PX well id hate to say yay or nay untill i hear there new stuff

Im sure T J will work out as a good (but very diffrent)replacement for Tmac....i have a lot of T J's work with Brett Garsed and he is an amazing player/composser as well as a very skilled studio enginer/producer again like Rufus he has of a more fusion rooted style that tony's neo classical/metal background(saying that thought tony jazzy's it up with CAB so it seems he is pretty much as master of any style he plays!)

I think the new PX stuff will still be chop city(in a good musical way) but a little more fusion based and maybe a little lighter due to them missing Tmac's 7 string guitar

i know they've done a few shows with the new lineup and i've heard the first BP gig was a little sloppy on TJ's part but i hear that he was in top shape for the Palatine gig

No dout though it Should be very interesting to hear what this new lineup can do & i cant wait to hear some new stuff :)

10. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I can't wait either! I hope they come back to Montreal (they came once but I didnt know who they were at the time) But my teacher said they played TOO loud, that he even wanted to block his ears during Tony's solo (which for him to say must means its uber loud!) especially considering the fact he is primarily guitarist. Anyways I've never seen them live :bawl: I really want to. They are my favourite band. Geniouses they are! What is your favourite song by the way? (I know there's probably no fave but which ones do you like most lets saY)

Universe: 2116
    Live from Oz: Warfinger w/ Tony's Solo
    Moon Babies: Interlude in Milan and Noble Savage
    I kind of wish LaRue would join, he is starting to be one of my favourite bassists but I'm excited and anxious to see what Rufus will bring to the planet. (bad pun) By the way are you the only PX fan here besides myself?:rolleyes: :p
    Peace
    Baker

11. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Id love to see them live as well but i dout they'll ever make the trip over here to England :(

Fav PX song's would be

Her animal(its better live with la rue's added slap lines)
    War Finger(again better live with the bass solo)
    Atlantis(suite) from Ds's PX cd (which i regard as the first PX album)is very cool as is Crab Nebulae,Moonbabies because i love jimmy's fretless playing and solo on that tune,The Noble Savage is also a great tune i really like Tmac's jazzy intro

Did you manage to score a set of the limited to 100 signed offical bootleg's the guys release through the web site?

i missed it at the time but i managed to pick up a set(the proper thing not just a copy of it)the other month for $10 on ebay!

its a 3 disc set 2 Baked potato shows with larue 1 M.I. show with Fierabracci which has the bass is really high in the mix :)

i also have a few other great bootlegs 1 from Sydney Australia and another which im told from LA (again both with larue)

but one of the coolest thing's i tracked down is a cd with the Universe Demos on it its really interesting to hear how these songs took form and what ideas where cut and what piece's got move around into other songs

I cant wait till the new stuff hits from the reports ive read both Rufus and TJ have the old stuff nailed down(if not a little diffrent in place's) so im sure the new stuff will be just as sick :)

anyone else out there reading this into PX got any views on the matter?

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    where did you get all those crazy bootlegs? I heard of the signed one but never really tried to get it. Now I gotta start lookiing for all of these, I LVOE LaRue