Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kenny Drew Trio Video

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by GrooveWarrior, Sep 23, 2005.

1. So, I'm sitting here watching BET Jazz and a performance from the Kenny Drew Trio with NHOP and Alvin Queen on drums came on. Dear Lord!!! I'm an electric bassist who wishes he was a straight ahead jazz bassist and I had never seen NHOP play. Unreal tone!!!! He makes it look so simple.

My question is: Does anyone know the show I am talking about (I can't be the only one who saw this on BET Jazz), and does this show exist in CD format? I must have it!!!

Help!

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Yes. I saw the show. NHOP was very good. The show is available on DVD. Do a search on Amazon.

3. it's called Live at the Brewhouse, i've got the DVD, some good stuff on there, I personally can't stand NHOP's tone on it, makes me cringe alot, but otherwise some big chops

4. I'm not very well versed in upright tone, but I noticed it was very out front and growly, and I hadn't noticed an upright sounding like that before.

5. it's essentially the "electric tone" that bothers many doublebassists, most of us feel it's an acoustic bass, so why would you make it sound electric ? ya dig, overall the 1970's was a bad year for doublebass tone....i've got some stuff with NHOP straight up acoustic and it's sooooooooooo much meatier and tastier....oh and that live at the brewhouse is available on CD too

6. Well, since I am an electric guy, I guess that would explain why I liked it. I will have to look for this on CD. He was incredible!

While I have your attention, do you know if there are any videos of Scott LaFaro playing?

7. good question, as far as I know the only video that exists is on Chuck Ralston's site (it's the quintessentiel LaFaro site), I did lots of digging around and that's all i've found, gives you maybe 15 sec of him, maybe Chuck would know where there is more ? if you happen to find one out there let us all know, we'd all love to get our hands on it!

8. lubao

lubao Guest

Aug 6, 2005
    NSW, Australia
    I got this DVD! Yeah I love NHOP playing, amazing player! He recorded with Bud Powell at 15 years of age!!! Enough said, BUT his tone in this session sounded to processed for my liking...BUT the playing was A+++...Funniest part was the drummer, Alvin Queen's Facial expression, looked like he was having seizure...go check it out.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Alvin Queen maybe?

10. SteveS

SteveS Guest

Old thread, just read it. " Kenny Drew Live at the Brew House" has probably gotten more play than anything else in my CD collection. Argue about the tone, but this is full of feeling , undiminished by the remarkable virtuosity of NOHP. These guys really seem to be really tuned into each other, especially Kenny Drew and NHOP. A remarkable tour de force, not of technique, but of expressiveness.

Steve Schuster

11. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    As much as I dig that video (Alvin is amazing), I don't care for NHOP's sound. It's all pick up. Sounds like a bad fretless slab. Plays his arse off, though...