1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kenny Rogers live, 1972

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by onestring, Jul 17, 2011.

1. onestring

onestring

Aug 25, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I knew he played bass but I hadn't heard him like this before.

He's getting a crazy good pick tone on that ancient P bass, playing a fairly busy line and yet singing sweetly at the same time... never mind engaging the audience as well.

Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town

Does anybody know if he played bass at all after First Edition or on the recordings?

2. Well, I don't think he did. He kinda dropped out of sight after the first edition - until he appeared as a solo act...so I don't think he did any bass playing after that.

Happened to catch him with the First Edition as an opening act to the Captain and Tenille once - and they got a HUGE standing ovation. When the Captain and Tenille came out, they got booed big time. The crowd wanted more of the First Edition, 'cause they were ON FIRE that night!!!

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Kenny actually played upright for a blind jazz/pop piano player named Bobby Doyle in the Bobby Doyle Trio and later played upright for The New Christy Minstrels before forming First Edition and playing bass guitar.

jonnymorrow likes this.
  4. I-Tunes has this as a music video - in color, no less.

I had no idea that Kenny Rogers played bass. I love this song - the harmonies are exquisite. Additionally, the thought of "[getting] a gun and put[ting] her in the ground" is understandable, given the setting, context, and circumstances of the tune...

Kenny didn't record bass on Ruby - that task was shouldered by the great Joe Osborn.

I guess Mr. Rogers has something to go back to, should he ever decide that guest-starring on Reno 911 doesn't provide as much satisfaction as it has in the past. ;)