Kenny Wayne Sheppard + Double Trouble

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 16, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I saw these guys tonight... Kenny Wayne... well. I dunno. He's good... whatever good is. If good is soloing and have every solo sound the same. He da man. I don't dig the blues so much.

Tommy Shannon is a tall man. He had the creepiest "bass face" ever! He looked like he was gonna puke. Maybe all that wankery was finally getting to him. :D Good solid bassist though, not overly flashy. He had way too many stingrays though, he should have given me two.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Whaddaya guys think? The blues, IMO is too repetive. The whole I-IV-V for 80% of your songs gets me snoring pretty quick. Maybe it's just me.
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It is the same(1-4-5) with country and bluegrass. You know what is going to happen-but people listen anyway!
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
  5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The blues had a baby and its name is Rock and Roll.
    All Blues 1-4-5? You haven't listened to enough blues son. Back to the thread. Double Troubles drummer has a killer groove and doesn't have to beat the youknowwhat out of his drums. Very light touch, great dynamics. The kind of drummer I'm always on the lookout for. They are definately a great rhythm section.
  6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    You should listen to a band called Bloodline. They are no longer around. But the kid who played lead guitar on that was like 17 when they recorded their first album and he is probably one of the best blues guitarists, one of the better guitarists period, that I can think of. I remember Kenny Wayne Shepard came around abou the same time as Bloodline and everyone was like, "wow this is just a kid playing these solos" and I was always pissed because the Bloodline guitarist was younger and SO much better.
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If you're thinking of who I'm thinking of, I believe her name is Alison Curfman, or something like that. I saw her once; the more straightahead blues stuff she did didn't move me much, but her own less traditional songs seemed to work better.
  8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Kenny Wayne Sheppard has always struck me as a cheap SRV knockoff. It's one thing to be influenced by him, but it's something else to steal his entire sound. I guess Double Trouble completes the effect.

If I want young gun blues guitarists, I'll take Derek Trucks, Sean Costello, or Johnny Lang over KWS any day of the week.

As for the blues, you hear what you want to hear sometimes. There are plenty of things besides I IV V progressions.

Could the girl guitarist being referred to be Susan Tedeschi (who used to date Sean Costello when he produced her album, and is now married to Derek Trucks)?
  9. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Blues takes all kinds of forms. IMO Robben Ford, with his Blue Line stuff, gives the blues a kind of update. Not always 145 and great soloing. His rhythm section is top notch and the recording quality is outstanding. If you see him live, its really inspiring. I know double trouble is solid, but Roscoe and Tom must be triple trouble. If you play blues (as I do) you are re-inventing what you play almost every time you do it, always evolving. I agree that doing the same stuff all night can get boring, so mixing it up with some funk or soul helps... Besides its lots o' fun.
  10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    You know, it's mind blowing how much modern music is based on Blues. You can sneak a Blues number into about any type of set and it won't seem out of place. If you're a Rockabilly band, you can sneak a blues in, If you are a Country band, you can play a Blues number, If you are in a Soul band, you can sneak in a blues number, if you play classic rock........You damn well better play a blues number. ;)

As far as KWS, I agree with Bassmonkee, it sounds like every riff he plays, he stole right from his Texas Flood and Sky is Crying albums. Either way, if I like someone's music, I'll buy it. If I saw his CD somewhere, I would probaly pick it up. I think the reason there are a lot of Stevie wannabe types running around is because if you want to play Blues, Texas Blues is probaly the easiest type of Blues band to put together. At least compared to Chicago Blues or Memphis blues. You can throw a power trio up on stage and you can play Texas Blues. You don't need any horn players, harp players, keyboardist (though Double Trouble did get Reese after a while) ect. Not saying that there's anything wrong with Texas Blues (it's my favorite style of Blues actually) just saying it's probaly the easiest type of Blues band to put together. (Well, expect a single person playing Delta Blues)
  11. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    The chick's name is Shannon Curfman...and yes, she can wail. I really like KWS' music....and other posters are right...there is SO much more to blues than 1/4/5. I'd listen to 10 hrs of blues before I'd listen to 10 minutes of some dude calling himself "punk" wailing away on his e string....
  12. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    That guy's name is Joe Bonamassa, from Bloodline, I just found it. His new stuff sounds pretty good. It's apparently #1 in the Blues charts.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Here's the deal: if you don't dig deep into a genre, all you're probably going to hear is the pop/stereotypical selections from that genre, so yeah, it will all sound alike. That's true for blues, punk, metal, C&W... even classical and jazz.
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Edit: (for the part I agree with.) Kenny Wayne and Stevie Ray type "blues" never really did it for me. SRV had more "original" sounding tunes I liked much better.

But alot of the "cross-over" FM blues sound very similar. And, IMO others have done it better already.
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

They did do Texas Flood... aside from the vocals (which were close) it was SRV and Double Trouble. Followed by the obligitory Voodoo Chile.

I do dig SRV more than Kenny. Stevie wasn't afraid to embrace different genres. They even got a little funky, (eg. Tightrope, Can't Stand The Weather, Crossfire... in their own way, funky).

I just don't like music written for the sake of soloing. OK kid, your 21, you can solo your ass off, ever think about exploring different styles? Hmmmm.