Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kent Armstrong MM replacement- any good?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Aug 12, 2001.

1. anyone tried one? ESH have used them in their basses, but does it get the stingray sound?

I'm intending to fit a Musicman style p/up to a Dearmond Jetstar special bass (cost only £65 and is well-made, plays well, but lousy tone due to P p/up fitted too close to the bridge, which is the ideal place for a MM to go, given a little routing first).
    I'm going to fit a series/parallel/single coil selector, and might put an active circuit in too.

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've been thinking of getting one for my StingRay-I tried to order one from WD Music Products a few weeks ago but their online order system wasn't working. I want to get either the Kent or a Bartolini with bar polepieces to take care of string balance problems.

The Bass Player review of the Esh said that the pickup sounded very good but was pretty dark-that's actually what I'm looking for. Harmony Central has some rave user reviews of other Kent Armstrong pickups so I'll probably take the plunge-it's only $60.

3. thanks for the info.

Kent Armstrong uses ceramic magnets, so I'm surprised by the "darkness" comment.
    I fitted a Kent Armstrong soapbar humbucker to my Hohner B2A just where a Stingray p/up would be, and in parallel or series mode with the active circuit on it sounds very stingray-like.