1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kent Armstrong pickups + pre, bridge, tuners, SC body + neck, and more

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by wushuguy, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I recently received a bad bass here (twisted neck) and the seller wants nothing to do with it, so I'm going to piece it out and try to get a little money back.

First off, I have a set of Kent Armstrong HB5E3B pickups (neck and bridge) with an Artec BE2 preamp. Here is a link for the pickups and pre:

http://www.wdmusic.com/soapbar_bass_pickup_4_5_29691_prd1.htm
    http://www.wdmusic.com/soapbar_bass_pickup_4_5_29692_prd1.htm
    http://artecsound.com/be2.html

Asking $130 shipped

I have an unknown model bridge. Here is a link to the exact one:

http://www.guitarpartscentral.com/modern-five-string-p-130.html

Asking $30 shipped

Also selling Wilkinson 3 + 2 Gotoh style tuners.

Asking $40 shipped

The bass is a single cut neck through built by the Brazilian luthier. There is a pretty massive twist in the neck. I'm hoping that someone will want this as a project bass. Maybe test your skills in fixing twists? The frets ends also need to be filed down ... they are pretty bad. There is one more problem. I'm a huge dufus, so when I was removing the first tuner, I didn't notice the screw on it, and when I tapped it out, it took a chunk of the headstock with it. This can be glued back in without much trouble. I will leave that up to you. Please see the pics.

Asking $40 + actual shipping OBO. SOLD!

Not sure if this is allowed here. If not, MODS please let me know. I'm also selling my Epiphone Dot guitar. This is in great condition, and has barely been used. There is one little knick just below the top F-hole. it is in the finish only. There is some light superficial scratching in the pickguard as well.

Asking $230 + actual shipping SOLD!

See all of the pictures here:

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/wushuguy/parts/

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    that may be the most twist i've ever seen in a neck that wasn't flat-out broken. shame, otherwise it's beautiful

3. bassnote6

bassnote6

Oct 15, 2002
    SYRACUSE NEW YORK
    Endorsing Artist:MTD Basses
    Sorry you took a beating on this. I thought the owner before you would have done the right thing. It was strange the bass never was shown above the 10th or 11th fret in the for sale ad! Good luck Man Peace

4. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    The original for sale ad did have more pics of the whole bass, but they were small low quality pics. The twist wasn't this bad when I received it, but it was definitely there. It just got worse over time. I'm pretty bitter about the whole thing, so hopefully I can make a little cash here. Thanks for wishing me luck. I feel like I really need it. :( Dealing with this bass has been a nightmare.

5. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I was particularly impressed with the sound of these electronics in a similar bass that I bought from the same seller. Wish I had a project to put them in, 'cause I'd take them. But alas, I don't and can't.

Bump because I feel your pain...just not quite as much.

dcr

6. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Guitar is SOLD!

I have a few people looking into the body, so that may be gone as well. Everything else is still available.

dcr, I agree. When the bass was mostly playable, I thought the pickups sounded killer. If I didn't need money so bad, I'd definitely be keeping them to use on a project bass later on.

7. bassnote6

bassnote6

Oct 15, 2002
    SYRACUSE NEW YORK
    Endorsing Artist:MTD Basses
    You have a PM

8. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Bass body is now sold. Pickups, bridge, and tuners are still available.

9. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Feel free to make me an offer on anything.

10. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Not only do I take a massive hit on this bass, but I get a negative feedback on it as well to start out my feedback history. :shakes head:

Please don't let the negative feedback fool you (a look at the details in the feedback ... his as well as mine ... will hopefully give you a clear insight into the situation).

Just wanted to make sure that the neg feedback doesn't scare any potential buyers away.

I'm still open to all offers on the remaining parts.

11. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Two questions:

a.) Negative feedback before or after you left negative feedback for the seller? And FWIW it doesn't fool me, BTW.

b.) More importantly, what sizes are the pickups? I have a bass I might just try them in. Sell p/ups seperately?

Thanks and LMK!

dcr

12. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    His negative feedback was after mine. It was certainly expected. I just made that post last night out of frustration. In hindsight, it seems to be poor taste on my part. I should just let it go.

As far as the pickups go, they are 36mm x 100.5mm, or 1 7/16" x 3 15/16". Just let me know if these work for you, and we can work something out.

Thanks,

Jim

13. pm'ed

14. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Nope, won't fit me. Wish they would.

Bump, nonetheless!

dcr

15. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I just received the bass body, and all credit to wushuguy for doing a very fair job of describing and photographing it, and for selling it at a fair price. So out of curiosity, I finally went back to the original thread. And I've gotta say that wushuguy got jobbed quite badly. When you see this work in person, it's awful. And there's no mention of the issues in the original thread -- I can't tell from the original thread's pictures if wushuguy did any modifications to the bass after he got it, but there are so many glaringly obvious structural problems that clearly were original to the bass, and should have been documented in any thread attempting to sell it.

Here's the stuff that's so obvious, it's not even funny:

-- the fretwork is horrible -- the ends are raw and protruding, they're not leveled or crowned, and in fact, it appears that one side of the frets was filed down, possibly to account for the beginnings of the twist that is now very pronounced
    -- the nut is very very bad -- the bottom of the low string slot is equal to the height of the first fret (used feeler gauges to check), and the 5 have different bottom heights -- and from its angle, it looks like the action would have had to have been pretty high to keep the strings off the frets (or a ton of relief)
    -- and there are numerous seams that are visibly separated, or were never made tightly enough -- the glue is visible like a white accent strip...
    -- the top veneer wasn't fit snugly to the neck, and there's a significant band of glue visible all the way around it
    -- there are a handful of very bad spots in the finish
    -- the control cavity cover was not awful, but it doesn't look like much effort was made to make it fit right
    -- and I enjoyed the stickers-as-fretmarkers...nice quality touch...
    -- oh, and if you think it looks warped from the pics, you've gotta see it in person -- sighting down the left edge, there's actually a dip in the area of the 4-6th frets -- that side looks like a rollercoaster...it's comical. It makes me wonder if the builder chose bad wood for the job, or just chose a bad piece...

So the whole point of this rant is to say that, if I had bought this bass originally, I'd have been PISSED, and would expect the seller to refund my money, shipping, and to pay return shipping.

I wasn't party to the discussions between wushuguy and the previous seller, and I hate slamming someone who might be a nice guy, but based on the content of the original thread, I can't see how wushuguy could be guilty of anything warranting negative feedback.

Here's what I can say -- the body was packed much better than something of this quality deserved, wsg took steps to keep the shipping as low as possible, and got the body to me very quickly...a neg on his feedback over this POS was clearly nothing more than retaliation, and seems extremely unfair...

Thanks again wushuguy!! May your future purchases go better than this one!!

ltt

16. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks for the kind words and feedback lethargytartare. Looking at your list of things wrong, I could have done a better job of describing it. Unfortunately, I don't really know what to look for. I have had decent basses many years ago, but have only played for a number of months total in my life, and am just getting back into it after many years off. A number of those issues I didn't even know were issues :help:. As far as the stickers, those were my doing. I forgot to mention that. I'm trying to learn how to play, and not having fret markers was making things difficult for me, so I just put some vinyl dots in place to help myself out.

I really hope you can do something with this body. Good luck, and thanks again.

17. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    But even if you didn't know everything to describe, you took enough good pics to give a thorough tour of it, and that makes a huge difference!

Thanks again man -- I've been tinkering with it already tonight -- it's going to be a fun project however it turns out!! :hyper:

ltt

18. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Just wanted to let everyone know that the seller sent me some money today. That definitely helps take most of the sting away. My thanks to the seller.

Pickups, tuners, and bridge are still available, and I'm still accepting offers.

19. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    bump

20. Astroman

Astroman Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Winston-Salem, NC
    What are the measurements on the pickups?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.