Kent Armstrong ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Asaf, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    hi everybody,

just wanted to know what do you think of the kent armstrong pickups ?
    and especially the soapbars for a 5 strings bass.

and by the way i only saw them on WD products,
    have you seen them elsewhere ?
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the new signature conklin pickups are being wound to bill conklin's specifications by kent armstrong, and they sound wonderful. absolutely fabulous.
  3. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    well thats cool, but i was talking about the standerd ones...:)
    i can't afford the conklin ones.:(
  4. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The problem with Kent Armstrong's is that you can't comparison shop for a good price. I'm not aware of anyone who sells them outside of WD.
  5. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    ok, last question :
    anybody here heard the kent armstrong pickups ?
    (im talking about the standerd ones) or know them

6. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I haven't heard the standard KA pickups, but he made the ones in my bass to Status' specs, and they're great!
  7. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    ASAF...I'm listening to ya buddy! I bought the Kents from WD about a year ago and dumped them in an Aria Pro II. I just thought I would try something different, being that I have Bart/EMG/Seymour pickups in every other bass I have! The only problem I encountered was trying to wire the darn things for series/parallel...but luckily you can e-mail Kent and he'll fax you a diagram(NICEY!). I run them into 3 way switches then on to an EMG BTC system. I would describe the tone as a little more "open" than the EMG's(less compressed). Also a little less treble than the EMG's. They can be run active or passive,which is cool. There you have it. :)
  8. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    WD is the only authorized distributor for Kent Armstrong's standard pickups, at least in the US and UK. I believe all these pickups are made in Korea.

If you're looking for a better price, ask your local music store if they are authorized WD distributors, and if so, do they discount off list price. And if they don't, find another store that does! I always get 30-35% off my WD and Allparts purchases that way. Don't pay list price!
  9. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Thanks everybody !!

Jontom - i was thinking maybe i should get bartolini ones cause they cost 90 $, what do you say ?
    do you get a good fingerstyle and slap sounds from the pickups ?

DW - thanks man, but here all the dealers are cons they take twice more from the original price, so i buy all my parts and strings on the internet.
  10. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I'd say go with the Barts. The KA's will give you decent slap/finger tone($75?), but for $15 dollars more, go for the Barts! They are superb.
  11. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    thanks man.
  12. Avs

Feb 19, 2001
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I have an esh J bass using KA pickups and circuit. It sounds good in both jazz and rock. I don't know if it's a standard KA model or custom designed for esh bass.

By the way, are they really korean made? Just curious.
  13. I have Kent Armstrong pickups (made to Benavente's specs) in my Ken Lawrence and LOVE the tone. I don't know how much of it is coming from the pickups themselves though...
  14. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I have a KA 5 string neck soapbar, and I'm getting ready to get a bridge one. I'm putting it on the 5er I'm halfway through building. I plan to wire the pots VVT, and with 2 DPDT switches (Parallel/single/series). I think I'm gonna try passive first, and then through my Sansamp, and if I don't like the tone, I'll try adding an OBP-3 (and if I don't like that, I can stick it in my Warwick) and if I still don't like the tone I'll try swapping the pickups completely.

Anywho, when it's done (sorry, still a few months at least left to go) I'll post you some sound clips :)

On a random, I'm routing out the pickup cavities on Tuesday, and tidying the body shape on the belt sander. Can't wait, she's finally coming together :bassist:
  15. I have a KA soapbar in my 4-string wishbass...the sound is SUPERB!

my next project bass, will have a pair of these installed...I like them that much.