1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kent bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BanjoKing, Oct 28, 2013.

1. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Oct 26, 2013
    I'm looking for a specific model of Kent, I have an 834, and I want an 836 mandolin, but what is the model number of the bass version of this style of instrument? If anyone knows anybody that has one, or any info on these, please let me know, these instruments kick ass, they are shaped in such a way that allows full travel of a fiddle bow across all of the strings, and with a small modification you can hit each string individually making for a fully functional fiddle guitar

Model 834
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383013347.520260.

Model 836
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383013376.099712.

Model ???
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383013399.016573.

2. I don't know the model number is, but I had that exact bass for a good number of years. A friend of mine had it laying around his house all disassembled and, after expressing some curiosity he said "If you don't mind putting it back together, you can have it.'' So I did and it was a pretty decent bass for a free instrument that took me maybe half an hour to re-assemble
    I can't tell you what it truly sounded like, because I never had a good amp (just crap ones) to play it thru, but it was certainly a very easy playing bass. I likeded it

saabfender likes this.
  3. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Oct 26, 2013
    The guitar I have, has a badass 1960's sound, especially when using the built in boost switch, I wouldn't sell it for $10,000 even though it is only worth about $400, I need to collect the rest of the set because for a cheap 1960's sears catalogue guitar, it has the sound of the gods built into it, and The bass is model 833 if I remember correctly

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
  5. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Oct 26, 2013
    Thats a deadly site you found there, had to bookmark it

6. I have the KENT model 833 bass, the model 834 6 string, w/palm mute and Bigsby style vibrato bar. Also the model 835 12 string w/palm mute, and the model 836 8 string mando. All instruments have all of the correct hardware. More often than not, as is usual for a lot of 46-47 year old (the KENT model 830 series violin shaped instruments, were only built for 2 years, 1966-67) Bass guitars, the bridge cover is long gone. Mine has the bridge cover. All of them are sunburst. I have the original chip board cases for the 834, 835, and the 836. All lined up next to each other, the collection looks pretty bitchin'!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
    Thornton Davis likes this.
  7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I'd love to see a photo or two of this collection. Hopefully you still have them all. I think the 700 Series and 800 Series Kent's from 1967-69 are very cool.

TD

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. Here's a picture (hopefully) of my KENT VIOLIN collection.

I just looked at my post attempting to show the collection. There is a KENT 6 string, 12 string, Bass, and an 8 string Mando. It appears to be below my post as a stand alone image..........Oh Well.

Attached Files:

nerkoids, MEKer and Thornton Davis like this.
  9. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Very cool to see the 833 bass and the 835 12-string.

TD

10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    VERY nice collection! And whats that vintage looking TV and tuner box?

11. There are two TVs in that picture. They are two different models of PHILCO "Predictas". There were 4 models in all, I have 3 of them. The picture tube is external from the electronics on all of them. They've all worked before. They need some work done on them now.

12. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Very interesting! What years are they from? Our first TV was in 1954 or 55. It was very small, B+W of course, and the brand was "SPARTAN".

13. I dig these. Great collection.

14. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    This was a blast from the past for me. My first bass was a Kent Basin Street (I just learned the model from the site posted earlier in the thread). It was dreadful - but maybe much of the problem was due to setup, or lack thereof, and the neck was definitely in bow and arrow territory. Hey, I was 12. What did I know. Replaced with a 72 Precision (bought new...)

15. Savajio

Savajio

Mar 16, 2017
    Found someone selling this one on Facebook for $70. Needed some work on neck which was a little warped. But 2 weeks later it played great. Everything but the knobs and toggle switch are original. Love playing it.

Attached Files:

SlimS and Thornton Davis like this.
  16. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Nice! That's a Model 833. I've been looking for one for a long time.

Enjoy.

TD

Savajio likes this.
  17. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I think it's great that you cats love these things.

I had a friend in college in 1974 who had an 822. That bass was hands down by consensus the absolutely worst playing and sounding bass any of us had heard or played at the time. And, that included a whole lot of no name stuff hanging in the used shops at the time. Mushy action, mud tone, twisted neck. That bass was absolutely hopeless. That remains the worst bass I have ever played in my life. Hopefully it was the exception to the rule.

Carry on.

18. Savajio

Savajio

Mar 16, 2017
    Although i can not comment on the 822, I can say I was surprised at how nice and warm the 833 sounds. I put a new set of flat wounds on there once the neck was straight and truss rod fixed a little. The only other issue I had was the toggle switch which being 50 years old needed to be replaced as it was dead in 2 of 3 positions. In my opinion I love playing old Zeppelin tunes, Beetles and older Motown grooves on it. It is not for every song but I love the nostalgic sound I can get out of it.

bucephylus likes this.
  19. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    That was my very first bass ... circa 1967. Neither loved nor hated it ... just played it because that's what I had. Sounded decent through my Guild Thunderbass amp, though.

Savajio likes this.
  20. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Finally found a Kent Model 833 asymmetrical violin bass from 1967. It needed a little work but it's all back together playing, sounding and looking great again. Now the search is on for a Model 822 bass to complete the collection (743, 833, 822).

IMG_0080.JPG

TD

SlimS and Mastermold like this.