Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kent bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Jun 22, 2002.

1. my friend sarah got this funky looking bass from her uncle, its really old... i took it home and put strings on it, seeing how their werent any, i plugged it in, and it sounds pretty decent through my little crap amp, i'm gonna try it out through the GK tomorrow and see how it relly sounds though. this thing is ancient and the electronics are clearly screwed up bad!! like the on/off switchs(they're actually like two light switches!!) are messed up, on isnt on and off isnt off and inbetween they kinda work. its really funked up inside i think, i'm gonna get her to take it to a repair guy, or ask her if i can open it and make sure its not simple wiring

anyways does anyone know anything at all about this bass, i've never heard of them!!

peace,
    steve

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Way back in the mists of time- 1974- A friend loaned me a Kent bass to get started on. Despite the fact that it was better suited for use as a canoe paddle than a musical instrument, I am eternally grateful for that experience. It launched my bass playing. :D
    The bass itself was very ordinary in the construction and tone departments with high action deluxe. The good side is if you can play an old Kent then you can play anything!

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The brand name Kent has been used a few times throught out the past 4 decades.
    If your bass is a solid body with 4 switches and one volume control on it, then it's a Hagstrom-1B. Hagstrom made these in the early 60's and OEM'd them to Selmer of London. Kent and Futurama were the brand names that Selmer sold their instruments under. Selmer didn't make any of their own guitars, they had other guitar manufacturers make them and put Selmer's brand names on them.
    You can easily tell if it's a Hagstrom by looking at the back of the bass to see if there's a steel plate located where the neck meets the body. If there is one there it should have six numbers on it and nothing else like made in Japan.

If the bass is a Japanese made Kent that were popular during the 60's, again look at the back of the bass to see if "Made in Japan" has been stamped on the neck-body plate. Japanese Kent's were offered with solid or semi-acoustic bodies. So if your bass is semi-acoustic, then it's most likely Japanese made. Hagstrom never OEM their semi-acoustic "Concord" bass to any retailer. But some people refer to the Concord model as a Viking bass.
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    JC

4. this bass has two light switches for pick up swiching, two volume knobs and two tone knobs.

i played it last night when i should of been sleeping, when i woke up and played it it kinda sucked again, back to my bass!!

steve

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Sounds like you've got the Made in Japan Kent from the 60's. They were only intended to be starter guitars.
    They are kind of cool today. But don't be disappointed by the way it plays. With some adjustments, they can be made to play quite well. It's just that the components used in them were not of the highest quality.
    Good luck.

6. thanks brother, i wish it was mine to mess around with, unfortunatly my friend wants it back!

peace,
    steve