Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kentucky Coffee Wood ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassstud1, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I was paging thru a wood magizine today and seen this wood (Kentucky Coffee Wood). From it's properties specific gravity and such it appears to be a good wood for a body. It looks good in the picture. Has any body had any experience with this wood or heard of it? It was intereresting how the wood got it's name also. Some of our forefathers didn't want to pay the tariff for coffee beans so they tried to use the fruit of this tree to make coffee. Too bad several of them died according to the story because they slowly poisioned themselves. Oh well, it was in Kentucky.
    All kidding a side if any one knows about this wood or where to get it please help.

Thanks for your time.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Kentucky Coffee seems to be one of those woods that hasn't caught on enough to find its way into lumber yards outside where it is found growing. I have never seen it in New England.

If I were looking for some, I would take a look at www.wdfindr.com

3. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Thank you FBB Custom for your reply. I did find some dealers at the site you suggested. If you would please send me a link to your site so I can see what you are making. The longer I'm a member of talkbass the more I would like to have my own custom bass built. Thanks again.