Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kerly strings... Cryogenic freezing and metal tapering.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    If you have the new Bass Guitar magazine, theres little article in back with all the other new stuff about these strings, "Kerly Kues". If you don't have the issue, here's the writeup:
    "Kerly treats it's strings with Cyclecoat, a form of cryogenic freezing and metal tapering called "thermal cycling" that strengthens the metal at the molecular level and adds crispness to string tone. The strings are then dressed with antifriction and antiwear coatings that improve string life, and wiped down with a corrosion-protective polish. Kerly Kues bass strings are availible in light (.040-.095), medium (.045-.105) and heavy (.050-.110) guages and come in tightly sealed, moisture-free packaging."
    I just looked on the website, and they have 5 string sets available now, as well as guitar strings.
    http://www.kerlymusic.com/

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'll stick with my Lo Riders. What advantage does making them really cold have? I get all the other stuff, but what does the cold do?

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I'm not exactly sure... I'm guessing that when it freezes it makes the metal really really tight? Has anyone tried these?

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You've heard of 'heat treating', right? Well it really can be thought of as 'temperture treating'. Cryo-treating metal is a well respected and established method of changing the properties of metals - aerospace, racing, machine tooling - it's used all over the place.

It's a molecular thing.

Joe

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I wish they had a better name, but doesn't another string company do that same thing? Dean Markley I think makes those Blue Steel strings. So that's not too big of a deal.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like the looks of those Kerly's. Gonna have to give 'em a try.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I wasn't too impressed with the Blue Steels. They seemed to be rough on my fingers, and the tone was brassy and thuddy. The highs seemed very unrefined. I may have had a bad set, but they went dead in one night. They'll not get my money again. The Kerly Kues might be better. I don't know, I'll stick with Elixirs until something better comes along. I have the same set of Elixirs on my 5 that I put on in June, I play a lot, and I'm known to be a string Nazi. They come off when they start to lose their sparkle, be it one nite, one set, one month, or...I don't know how long these Elixirs will last, but I am VERY impressed. They still sound new.