Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kern-777

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Haley, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I just received my Kern-777 pre-amp. I love it. I'm using it with a Crest LT 1500 power amp. I've owned an Aguilar DB 359, Swr 750, Ashdown Abm 500, Gk-1001 , and I think I have found the sound I've been searching for. The tone is so pure I can't believe the difference. I love the headroom of the power amp . I'm pumped!!!

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Congrats, Jeff. It's a tone-heavy pre, that's for sure. I'm still trying to decide which power amp to match mine up with. The one thing I HATE, however, is that wall wart. Makes it tough to rack the thing and plug it into a power conditioner because of its size. I understand the newer ones have regular cords.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Boog,

yours is an older one, right? mine is a hardwired 3 prong jobby. pretty handy. maybe Henry can rejig it for you.

4. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I also have the newer version and love it as well... Check with Henry about a retro-fit for the plug, he may be able to help you out...

5. My Kern has the IEC power supply (no wal wart) and ground lift. It's sweet sounding and the DI for recording is a gift from heaven.

I use a Crown K2 amp. It's great but heavy as heck.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My Kern doesn't have a wall wart either. Beleive it or not I haven't even used the DI on mine yet. Shows you how often I record or get to go through the PA. Even so I love this pre.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have the older one with wallwart also. My rack case is deep enough that it doesn't really cause me any problems - I have a normal strip velcro'd inside the case which I leave everything plugged into. For added security, I got a locking power strip.

But it is ugly and it would be nice to get a conversion if possible to non-wallwart. If anyone knows whether Kern does this conversion, I'd love to know.

edited later as I realized I had a brain fart while typing and described the setup inside my rack case incorrectly

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'll probably just rig up a short extension cord and strap the thing in. A minor problem, really. On the upside, it does isolate power outside the unit.

That thing has the fattest tone I've encountered in a bass preamp. I also currently own an Aguilar DB659, Demeter 201S and Ampeg SVP Pro.

If the SVP is an SVT for rack users, the Kern is a Mesa 400+.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I got one of thses PlugLock strips, details at MF here
    Luckily, I didn't pay the MF price!

It's scary the amount of bass and output gain the Kern has.

On a side note, are all three tubes 12ax7a's? I could take the tube guards off and look, but they came off in transit to me and I had a hell of a time getting them back on (and staying on).

While putting the guards back on, I had ample opportunity to check the tubes, but just plum forgot.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Two ax's and one au.

Thanks for the link on that Furman strip. Might have to look into it. Does it secure to the rack somehow?

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Package hasn't arrived yet, will let you know for sure when I get it tomorrow. The description says "Mounts safely out of sight, in the back of your rack " so I'm assuming so. If not, I guess I'll velcro it.

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hello All,

I just got my 777 back today from Henry. He DOES do the mod you people are seeking for $30 & he also modifies the direct output due to some hum issues on these older models for no charge. Give him a call @ 262-657-0315. Get his address info because it's changed recently. He's a cool guy to deal with & he always answers the phone...

later,
    Satan

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Great news, thanks.

How long did it take from when you sent it off to when you got it back?

That means I'd have to be without it for while :eek:
    Amazing how attached I've gotten to this pre in a short time.

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Dave,

Turnaround roughly I'd say 3-4 wks, depending on how busy he is.

later,
    Satan

PS: Make sure you pack it REAL good & insure it

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not everyday you hear Satan peace out.

:eek:

16. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Joker,

My main man! How have ya been? Have you stopped by Nick's shop lately & tried his new pre's? I'm wondering how they stack against the mighty Kern? Regardless, my 777 is a keeper, now I just have to keep my pants on till my El Whappo gets here...

later,
    Da Devil

17. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just to add to the chorus, the Kern is an outstanding pre, and I'm very happy with the tone of my basses through it (together with a QSC PLX-2402 and 10-yr old Goliath I).

Henry is very helpful on the phone, and does do the power-supply mod (don't know the price on it, but probably less than $40). One thing I've asked him about, and my only complaint with the Kern, is the Treble control: I'd prefer that the frequency be centered higher than it is. I spoke with him briefly about this a couple weeks ago and he mentioned that he could make a change that would raise the freq (even allow you to toggle back and foth between the 2 freq centers), but I haven't gone through with it yet (I need the pre for playing right now).

So... I'd like one of *you guys* to have the mod done, then lemme know how it turns out :D

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think I'll take the plunge, right after I do the 230v -> 110v conversion on my newly acquired Warwick Quadruplet (details in this thread )

I'm kind of bummed at the thought of being without my Kern for a month. I love using the deep bass for fingerstyle, then cranking the tonal balance control for a really biting pick sound. :bassist:

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    BTW, I just got off the phone with Henry and he's the nicest cat in the world! Helpful, patient and more than willing to take care of his preamps. Very cool. Thanks for the digits, Devilman! :cool:

20. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, Furman strip came today. The locking bolts don't come up far enough to handle the Kern wallwart, so I think I'm definitely getting the mod done. The strip is very cool though, and has mounting holes on either end if you want to mount it inside your rack.