Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

kern and QSC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a Kern preamp and am about to order a QSC PLX2402. Question is, does anyone know what the output voltage of the Kern pre is? Right now I'm using the power section of a Carvin R600 and the Kern clips the Carvin with plenty of room to spare. I believe Carvin poweramps have an input sensitivity of 1V, but I don't know if it's the same if using the effects return of the R600. The 2402 has an input sensitivity of 1.5V, so I'm wondering if I need to get it modded to have a lower input sensitivity to be able to drive the QSC into clipping. I know there are talkbassers out there running a Kern/QSC setup, and just want to know how well the Kern powers their QSC.

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    yup. Just got a delivery failure notice.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My totally non-scientific, non-engineer experience is as follows: I didn't like the Kern 777 pre with a QSC PLX 1602 at all. I couldn't seem to get it loud enough. Why? No idea. I've already been slammed by the scientists around here on this topic and I have no intention of taking another beating over it. The Kern sounded great and plenty loud though a Crown CE2000, however, so that's what I settled on. You could call Henry about the pre, perhaps. In any case, good luck and I hope your experience with a Kern/QSC marriage is more successful than mine was. Oh yeah. YMMV. IMO. etc.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If that's the case, I'm willing to bet that the Kern doesn't have hte output voltage the QSC needs to run at full power.

That doesn't mean there's anything "wrong" with the Kern, since that is the case with bunches of bass preamps when going through a QSC . . .

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I liked the 1602 even less with an Aguilar DB659. Same reason. The SVP Pro, otoh, was plenty hot enough to drive the QSC. So that's where it ended up.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Come on guys I know there are more Kern owners out there. I need info:)

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've had no problem with output volume from my Kern to my PLX 2402. Plenty loud. Mind you, I haven't yet had to push it that high. Playing the New York clubs, I've never had to turn the QSC volume very high to hear myself.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    According to the Kern Web site (http://www.kernacm.com/ip777.htm), the IP-777's balanced output is "capable of + 20 output level."

The specs on that page are more than a little bit vague, but if they mean "+20 dBu," then they're saying the preamp can put out up to 7.75 volts, which is plenty adequate to drive the PLX 2402 not only to full power but well into clipping if you set the gain controls too high. ;)

The page doesn't say what the maximum gain capabilities of the IP-777 are, so I don't know what it takes to reach that full output level.