Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kern IP-777 inputs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkateer, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Probably the most inadequate thing about the Kern is the one page doc that comes with it. One thing I have never been clear on is the electrical difference between the 1/4" input jacks. Should I be using a different jack when I use the piezos in my NSD EU5 vs when I'm playin BG?

2. You should be using the second jack just to the right of the locking jack on the far left of the front of the unit. This input has much more headroom and can accomidate piezos much more cleanly.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... I sold my Kern a few months back, but I seem to recall the two inputs being the same, with the exception that the left-most one has a locking mechanism for a 1/4 plug.

I personally prefer not having the locking mechanism (if I'm goofy enough to wander too far from my amp on stage, I want the plug to come out, rather than have the amp take a tumble), so only tried it once, but don't recall hearing any differences. This was several years ago, however... try 'em both out, and see which one you prefer! :smug:

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    +1...I was gonna post earlier but...I've never found any difference in the inputs over the last 5+ years I've owned mine. Granted, I've never used an EUB through it, I think you get more results with some tube changes...

~S~

PS: I love my Kern

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Some of them, like mine, had an XLR low Z input and a standard 1/4" high Z input.

6. I haven't really tried any different tubes with mine yet. I'm curious as to which ones would compliment the Kern. Do you guys have any recomendations?