Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kern IP-777 power supply?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Classic5, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    I'm thinking of buying a second hand Kern from the US but I'm unable to find out whether they are switchable from 110 volts to 240 volts. Apparently the Demeter is but I'm not sure about the Kern, and any emails I try to send to Kern Engineering come back as an error on my system.

Hope someone out there who has used one might be able to help me out.

Thanks.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm looking on the back of my newer Kern now, and no, there is no switch. i think its something Henry has to do himself.

here's his number if you need to reach him directly.

262 657 0315

the Demeter VTBP-201s is switchable, and sounds great. tho, i use both, i lean a bit more towards the brighter, hifi, airy sounding Dem. just my two cents. :D

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I don't know a whole lot about them but I do know that the new Kerns have a built in power supply, whereas the older Kerns use a "wall wart" power supply. If the one you want to buy uses the wall wart then you may need to get a new wall wart for the 240V but then again I've seen wall warts that could take either 120V or 240V. If it's a newer Kern that doesn't have the wall wart then maybe there are just some jumpers inside that need to be changed.
    Definitely find out before buying it, and good luck.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i just got off the phone with Nick who helps out Henry, and he said, you might have to have one built specifically for that voltage. no switches, or anything inside.

5. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Thanks guys,

Your comments are a great help as usual.

The Demeter may be the way to go in that case, unless I go for a new unit.

Cheers.