Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kern IP=777: Some Questions???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 5, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    After an initial broken power switch which was quickly sent and replaced by Henry, i finally got this beaut in all its glory.

but, some questions...

- how should i set up the volume & master volume??? i've been using the old, crank the master idea. i'd leave the master wide open, then adjust the volume knob until the red peak light no longer shown. is this the best way? i just want a clean clean signal.

- btw, is there a way to get a dirty SVT ish sound? prolly not, but i'm sure y'all tried at some point... ;)

- Is the deep switch supposed to be this "mild"? in the manual is says it adds a "mild" amount of lows, but its not that perceivable on my peavey DPC1400x/HT112 setup. only after cranking the bass knob, and then switching it down, do i notice the bass boost. but like i said, its incredibly mild.

- and finally for my stoopid question of the day, which input do i use? the leftmost one, right? the manual says both work fine for electric bass, but which is better?

after an hour of tiddling, i gotta say, this guy is FAT, PHAT, PHATTY! i've yet to hear anything with this much corpulent tube tone. its like VTBP & db680 got together, and had a rotund, 14 lbs., bouncing baby boy. also, the EQ is great. much more reactive than the VTBP, and about as musical.

for shame, Henry doesnt cater to dealers anymore. if he could keep up with production, he'd be a millionaries by now, no?

2. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Yes, you're probably right about the dealer issue... I use the regular input, I believe the one on the left is for high impedance or piezo pickups.. I set my volume about 1/2 way and most of my EQ at about 11:00, it depends on the bass I'm using... Yes these things sound Phat, great tone but as far as the SVT tone, I don't think so... I had a Sansamp RBI before this that could simulate the SVT tone... Overall a nice piece of gear.. I love the sound and tone... To me it sounds like a cross between an Alembic F1-X and an Aguilar DB-659..

3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    So, what do y'all think about the Kern's potential for use as a mic preamp? It has a hi-Z input, and I happen to need both a mic pre and a bass pre for my home studio (and I don't seem to have the funds for an Avalon VT-737). I know the EQ is meant for bass, but I have other EQ's available if I need them. Would a mic run through a 9v phantom power battery produce too hot a signal for the input?

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

i dunno as a mic pre only cause to my ears which are pretty biased cause of my bright VTBP, its a little dark sounding. you can EQ it a bit, but overall, the tube warmth would prolly be blanketing for anything other than bass.

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Joker,

How the HELL are ya! Listen, the Kern can get an Ampeg on steriods sound ONLY if you change them tubes. I don't know what type 12AX7's he's using these days, but the Kern is a passive electronics type pre & is more geared toward the clean side. I've installed a pair of NOS RCA 7025 long plates & ran the gain all the way up & used the volume (on right side) to control output to power amp & had a SICK overdriven sound. You might not like it but the pre is capable with the right tubes+ the bass' electronics play a big role in final output & tone. You're right about the "Deep" switch, VERY mild, but noticeable. For my clean sound, the Kern is "The Pre" but for that perfect Ampeg grittiness you just HAVE to go SVT2...

later,
    Satan

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Where did all the Kern owners run off to??? :(

btw, big thx to Dev and Steve for their help, but i did have one more question.

does anyone else feel the bright switch makes things too hissy?? i flipped it on, and had to back off the tone balance from full clockwise to about 12:00. is this normal for the IP777? with it off, things are dead quiet. i was using my Stew 1.2 and Aggie GS112 with the tweeter set at noon. in comparison, with my Dem, hitting the bright switch isnt nearly so, but does add a nice dalloup of sizzle.

anyways, i've been tinkering a little more with my new baby, and it seems to have some funky ears. it didnt quite fit into the SKB box i normally use, so i had to pop the top and reattach and reverse the rack ears! i was a little wary of reaching inside the innards since i had to get to the wing nuts, but all is good.

all in all, the tone is to die for and like Steve said, it is very much like a juicy Alembic, but with that DB659 punch. also, seems like people with Acme's or the similarly flat sounding EA's have had the best luck with 'em. cant wait to get my B-2 next week!

hope a Kernie is listenin'... :(

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    btw,

what are some of your fav settings?

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hmm, if JimS was on, he'd be able to help you a bit.

9. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

(number are clock hand positions)

Gain: 12
    Bright: off
    Treble: 1
    Mid: 11
    Bass: 11
    Deep: Off
    Tonal Balance: 1-2

10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Originally posted by jokerjkny

- how should i set up the volume & master volume??? i've been using the old, crank the master idea. i'd leave the master wide open, then adjust the volume knob until the red peak light no longer shown. is this the best way? i just want a clean clean signal.

I would adjust the gain first. This will set the gain into the effects loop. It also goes from clean boost to a little overdrive. (Althought the overdrive sound with the stock tubes isn't so hot.)

- btw, is there a way to get a dirty SVT ish sound? prolly not, but i'm sure y'all tried at some point... ;)

I haven't had any luck with that. I don't think it is desinged for that

- Is the deep switch supposed to be this "mild"? in the manual is says it adds a "mild" amount of lows, but its not that perceivable on my peavey DPC1400x/HT112 setup. only after cranking the bass knob, and then switching it down, do i notice the bass boost. but like i said, its incredibly mild.

Yeah, it's designed to make up for slight signal losses below 40 Hz when you cut the bass a lot.

- and finally for my stoopid question of the day, which input do i use? the leftmost one, right? the manual says both work fine for electric bass, but which is better?

I always use the the locking jack just for security. I didn't notice a lot of difference with my basses. The right jack worked better for keys. I noticed that you can't use both at the same time. Bummer.

after an hour of tiddling, i gotta say, this guy is FAT, PHAT, PHATTY! i've yet to hear anything with this much corpulent tube tone. its like VTBP & db680 got together, and had a rotund, 14 lbs., bouncing baby boy. also, the EQ is great. much more reactive than the VTBP, and about as musical.

Built like a brick ?*! house. EQ is very effective. Tonal balance rules for live use.

11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

BTW, any try 5751's with the IP-777?

12. Yeah I put 2 sylvania 5751's in my Kern, (I left in the tube for the direct out.) and I couldn't be happier with it! I do use the bright switch, and run all the tone dials at 12 o' clock.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hexbass,

do you get lots of hiss with your brite switch on? if so, at what point with your EQ and tonal balance do you get it?

Lo-z,

while looking in the archives i picked this up from Mario lewis. and he said, usually the Kern only uses the 1st tube for the whole tone stack. the 2nd 12AX7 is for the tube buffered effects loop and the third 12au7 is for the DI out.

but if you wanna add some more tube lovin', it is possible to insert the other 12AX7 into your signal chain by inserting a cable into the send and then into the return of the FX loop. cause it is a serial loop, this brings out a "wilder" character to your preamp. i'm dying to try it tomorrow at rehearsal.

also, he liked Amperex Bugleboys for funk, black gospel, R&B, slap.

14. I do get some hiss at the previously mentioned settings, but I think the clarity I get in the treble range is worth it, I don't hear it at volume.

15. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I thought the first tube was a buffer for the effects loop. Also, that doesn't really make sense to me. I mean, the loop is half normalled, as you would expect which means that having nothing plugged into it is the same as having a cable from send directly to return. So I don't know what this guy is trying to say.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Oh ok, thanks...

just wanted to know if what i had was out of the ordinary.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  18. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento California
    Joker: yeah, I know, this is from a very old thread, but I wanted to ask you, did you end up jumpering the effects loop on your Kern (to bring in the second 12AX7 into your signal chain)? And if you did, what was the verdict?