Kern IP-777 Tube Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Does anyone have tube replacement recommendations for the Kern? I'm thinking about trying some NOS tubes, but wanted to get other's opinions before proceeding.

2. Hey Jeff, I'm no expert, but I've been researching preamp tubes for my old SWR. I've found that before you can decide on replacements, you need to answer a few questions.

What kind of tubes does it have in it? (All 12ax7s? Brand if possible?)
    Do you like the tone you are getting?
    What would you like to change about the tone?

Until the real experts answer, you might want to do a search for 12ax7 and 5751 in the amp forum.

Good luck!
  3. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I had a Kern. It has 2 12AX7's and 1 12AU7. the 12AU7 is used when you send the signal to a board via the DI, and only then. 1 of the 12AX7's is used as they are normally used in your signal chain, and the other one is used to buffer the FX loop if you use pedals. It is possible to insert the other 12AX7 into your signal chain by inserting a cable into the send and then into the return of the FX loop. You will notice the difference when you use the Character knob. It will be slightly more "radical" in its effect on your tone. I tried it, and opted not to use it. The best tube I found for it, and any preamp for my style of play (funk, black gospel, R&B, slap) is Amperex Bugleboys. You can find them on E-Bay all the time. Two of those in the 12AX7 slots was really wild. Too wild for me. But that provided the best "picture" of what the preamp is really capable of for me. I later traded it for a Marcus Miler Fender, and I now play through an Alembic F1X. It was a close call, but I prefer the Alembic tone. The Kern was a close second, and had more bells and whistles. I really liked the Neutrik connector, the input clip limiter, the combination of the input gain and the master output, a dedicated tuner out, and the Character control. I kinda wished that I still had it. But I can live without it.

Got that Buckey Burl DP Custom yet?