Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kern IP-777 vs. Read Purity???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Sep 2, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i was reading up on the recent Read thread, and noticed Fuzzbass said this:

anyone else wanna comment? anyone able to compare the two? impressions? with what rigs, basses, and music style?

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The Read is much cleaner, clearer, and punchier.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I never A/B'd them, but from my recollection, the Purity sounds more musical and easier to dial in a good tone. The Kern was particularly harsh with the treble on my Spector, whereas the Purity is warmer.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd go along with that. The Kern has more thump, and is a bit more of a one trick pony - although as the cliche goes, it's a very good trick.

I tried them both with an EA CXL-112L. The Read was more transparent, but the Kern is more the sound I want to hear when I play. But of course, with a different cab I might feel completely differently!

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The EA CXL112 is very midrange-oriented by nature, and cuts through a mix insanely well, also incredible on a boomy stage. That makes sense that the kern would sound great through it!

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

so, is the Purity more like a Demeter?

sorry for all the questions guys. been outta the loop when it comes to the Purity. guess lately i've actually been happy with my gear. ;)

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The clarity of the Demeter, but not as persistent in the highs, and has the ability to be thicker and rounder, a'la Alembic. Very clear in a less obtrusive way. Details come through as well in the Purity as the Dem, but in a more mellow, thick way - instead of being stark raving naked like the Dem :D

To me, the Dem sounds like "STRING" and the Purity sounds like "WHOLE BASS".

Maybe i'm biased cause Jack's such a cool guy...

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's somewhere between the two, although by default I'd probably place it slightly closer to the Dem than the Kern. The high end, as Todd said, isn't as airy and open - but that doesn't mean it's a muffled high end by any means, it's just not as glassy as the Dem.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Cool, thanks for the insightful comments. As noted in that other thread, my comparison of Dem/Read/Kern was *not* a true A/B/C! Anyway, it's good to know I almost certainly made the right choice (i.e. guessed right :)) for me.

I would've been heartbroken if the Purity did not have phat ass lows. I think it does compare well to my old F2B: nearly as much booty and shimmer, better mids, a few more bells and whistles (only those I want, no more).

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

started another thread, and after a quick search, realized i already posted this question before! even with the same exact thread title...

at any rate, thx for your comments FB...

but now that's its been a while, how's the Read holding up for a few of you guys?

from what it sounds like in this thread, most guys seem to mention its rather similar to the Demeter VTBP-201s. any credence?

also, i heard that the Purity's rather weighty. someone mentioned at least a good 20 lbs.!

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Geez...the Purity's been in my rack so long I can't remember the weight!:eek:

That said, it ain't comin' out of the rack any time soon. It's probably as great to my ears as the day I first received it...if not more! Combined with my Epi 4x10 UL, it's SOOOOO musical and smooth sounding, yet detailed and articulate, I just cannot imagine anything sounding better.:D

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    If people are comparing the Read and the Demeter as "the same", well... I sure don't hear it. Likewise, the Kern isn't very close either. I like to think of it as between the two - fat and tubey, but controlled and articulate. Without being real stringy or super-bright.

Joker man, I can't believe you haven't tried a Read yet?? That Read is the only preamp i've tried that actually made me think twice about the Aguilar DB680, and that's your baby...

13. I have not tried the Kern or Read but would love too. I do have the Dem201s and do not find it to be naked or real stringy or super bright as is of Van's opinion (of which I respect greatly). This however may be true even to me to some extent, but while playing either of my Sadowsky which most of you on this thread also play, I find it simple to add the "lite" components of tone you desire, at least for me. By adding a little VTC and some bass... wha-la. I greatly appreciate the clarity of the Demeter. I am more anxious to try a Read than the Kern .... it really looks great to me. If I do, who knows maybe the Dem will be for sale. :D

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    That doesn't surprise me too much, because as I always say - it's the combination that counts. As memory serves, the rest of your rig is pretty smooth in the highs, and quite thick overall (the Bergs and the Sadowskys).

How do you compare the upper-mids and highs of the Demeter and the WW?

15. Hi Van...does your head hurt yet... love that Avatar.

You know, I'm really not that sure about the upper mids. I would say the WWU is preamp-wise more in the upper mids, but both have a very promenent clear high to them. When you are powered by that CA9 everything just changes to me and I have only heard the Demeter with the Crest. I did briefly try the WWU pre section into the Ca9 and it was whoopin', but I need to try it again. I should also run the Demeter through the WWU power section...

Also, as picky as I am about things I am just not as good as you guys at distinguishing all the different MID frequencies. I seem to just hear the whole midrange when evaluating. The things that jump out at me mostly are the ugly, nasty, appearant things, some of it my playing... I usually don't like it when I can't tame the mids to a nice round punchy even tone with some touches of old school growl when I choose. I do like mids for cutting but prefer this 'balance' if you will in general. I almost make sense to myself.

16. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Understood - I think a lot of people lump what I call upper-mids into just "treble". Which is fine, unless you're trying to have a conversation about it. Ultra-present upper mids (in my experience) are normally what people talk about when they call an amp really bright - if it's actual way-high treble, then it's "glassy" not "bright". :D

So my bet is that you are just getting confused with the variety of lingo, and actually hear much more than you are admitting.

17. Fuzzbass

Excellent point.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    so anyone wanna sell me their Read? :D

19. Fuzzbass

The Read is heavy, but it seems more like 10 lbs... I can't believe it weighs more than my Stew 2.1!

As for me: I've had the Read for nearly a year now, and it's definitely my #1 tone machine. I'd still like to give the Kern a thorough workout, but that's simply out of curiosity. Well, that and the fact that I love chickenhead knobs. :p I don't have much experience with the Aggie tube preamps, either. But again, this is general curiosity... I have no real preamp GAS because the Read sounds that damn good to my ears.

20. Fuzzbass

Oh... I guess I should mention that the Read's midrange EQ voicings are unusual. I believe the High Mid control is 400Hz, which is really mid-mid (and arguably close to low mid). The Low Mid control is something like 120Hz (?) which I consider High Bass, so to speak. The only change I'd make to the Read would be a Low Mid voicing in the 200-300Hz range: IME a bump here makes high-register fills sing out in the mix (e.g. "The Real Me"). But I often bypass the EQ entirely and use the Emphasis knob to goose mids when necessary.