Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kern IP-777: what settings do you use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimS, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Just curious. I usually leave

treble, mid, bass knobs at 12:00
    tonal balance at 12:00 or sometimes 1:00
    bright and deep switches UP (on)

BASSES: Sadowsky 4 string basses: JJ and PJ
    CAB: Euphonic Audio VL210

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I usually leave it pretty flat and do as much eq'ing as possible on my basses.

Bass at 3-4
    Mid at 10 i.e. zero cut
    Treble 2

Bright and Deep off
    Tonal Balance 12

I'm using a Thumb 5, Stingray 4, Fender Hot Rod P and Status / Trace Elliot TBass 5.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I typically cut bass (10 o'clock) and use the bright switch. Mid at about noon and treble at 2 o'clock. I also crank the Tonal Balance. Otherwise, this pre is just too darn fat for my taste! I use active sixes and sevens, e.g. Hanewinckel, Zon, Modulus, Elrick, Roscoe, etc.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    treble 1 o'clock
    mid, bass 12 o'clock
    bright switch up
    deep switch down
    tonal balance 1 o'clock

using DP custom 5 and squire jazz w/lindy fralins

I sometimes turn the bright switch off when using my jazz for a great old school tone. I love my kern.

5. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Treble, mids and bass at about 11:00.. Deep bass and bright engaged and tonal control set about 2:00, but it depends on the room... I too love my Kern... To me it sounds like a cross between the Alembic and Aguilar...
    I almost forgot... Celinder Vintage 5's..
    QSC PLX -2402 into Bergantino HT-322....

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Treb 1:00
    Mids 3:00
    Bass 10-11:00
    Brite on
    Deep on
    Tonal Balance 2:00

Elrick neckthru 5 string
    parts jazz bass

Acme 2x10
    Bergantino 1x12

playin' mostly funk/neo-soul/r&b/jazz. replaced the EH 12AX7's, with Jan Philips 12AX7, and its noticibly tighter, and more taut in the midrange. tried a Tungsram ECC83, and has nicer airier highs with a big loose bottom end.

7. Lately, I' ve been using the DEEP switch off witht TONAL BALANCE at around 2:00-3:00 and it's even better. I love it.

I was at Sadowsky's shop this Friday and played the Aguilar rack rig, SWR Redhead, Eden WT whatever, and Acoustic Image Clarus. Man, I love my Kern even more. I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!!

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    funny,

i sold my old IP777 to Nightbass, cause i thought the Kern held back the punchie authority of my Sadowsky's onboard.

so, now, its about my Avalon U5. :bassist:

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    and I sold mine, missed it, and just bought one back :)

Even better - I managed to go from wall wart version to on-board transformer version in the process!

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Someone sell me your Kern. Please. I played Phat Ham's recently, and now I must have me one. Please sell yours today. I'll send you cookies AND a Christmas card. Please...

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I leave bass, mid and Treb all at 12:00

Tone knob I leave wide open so it doesn't cut any top end.

I leave bass and treb switch's down.

Standby switch up when I want sound and down when I don't ;)

I use the Preamps on my basses to do any other contouring I need. My basses have wonderful pre's and the Kern is an amazing tubepre!

[​IMG]

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

New kern's will be ready to ship the end of Sept...... thats atleast the forcast. Les has been working hard getting everything worked out on the New units.

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Is there any difference from the old ones?

~S~

14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    One of the main differences came from people's complaints about the wall wart adaptors. The old ones had those big adaptors that always block AC outlets. Since then, Les has gone to a regular AC cord. There are probably other changes too, but this one seems to get the most press.

15. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Brian
    Whats that thing sitting on top of your rack?

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

The wall wart change was made years ago. Actually right after the old Bass player Review. Every since then the wall warts haven't been on the basses.

The newest Kern's will still sound the same. Les has made a few changes to the bass and treb boost switch's and also added a reverse polarity switch on the back of the unit. I'm sure he did a few tightening up of things, but that's pretty much it.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ditto

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

That’s a secret special tone box...... :D Actually its the front end of the True-Voice proto-type Les has been Eng. for me. Its the New preamp that I will be coming out with at Winter NAMM.... projected. I've got a few versions of it, but its Audio file Tube Tech. Not mint to color and setup to be very true to the instrument with the Warmth of tube. Its cool, because you can change out tube's very easy and actually add a different tube warmth with different brand tubes to your taste. With out the eq-ing and all it also forces the player to rely on his hands and instrument more then tweaking a knob. Its a truly amazing if you like the sound of your instrument!

19. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Good. So the Kern will keep its signature tone. I had mine up-graded a few years back to the specs you speak of now. I love it & doubt I will ever part with it...

~S~

20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Les is an amazing person. One of the great Tech. brains no doubt.

Heres the second little Tube box we did. These are both proto front ends.

[​IMG]