Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kern IP-777

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Edgar, May 14, 2001.

1. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    To everyone of you who use the Kern IP-777, which version do you use? The IP-777 or the IP-777 XL.

2. Gee, I didn't know Kern made two preamps. I bought mine about a year or year and a half ago. I had him put in a built-in power supply with IEC cord and a ground lift for the DI. This was no extra charge and I know I paid less than $700.

I have never looked back. This is an incredible preamp. Versatile, quiet, easy to use, massively effective controls, few controls, what more does one need?

3. I just checked the Kern website. I have the XL. I never use that option.

4. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Can I use that input with any kind of bass (Active/Passive) or is it for Piezo/upright kinda thing only?

5. My Kern has a 1/4" input for 'regular' bass whether or not it has on on-board preamp w/ active eq and the XLR for piezo pickups.

6. I've seen past posts voicing issues about reliability problems with the Kern.

Anybody have experience with this?

7. Me and one other owner I know have no problems with our Kerns (he turned me onto the Kern 777).

8. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I send two emails to Kern with no reply (a couple of months ago...). I tried again this week but their account is disable at the moment.

9. Edgar,

Try calling Kern. Alternatively, I bought my Kern preamp from MAE (Music Art Entertainment) in Ft. Lauderdale from a salesperson named Jeff (954-581-2203) who is very straight foward and knowledgeable. He has dealt a lot with Henry Kern.

The controls on the Kern are: treble, mid, bass knobs; high and deep switches (latter attenuates mids and accentuates deep low end), tonal balance knob, (kind of scoops the sound ala SWR as you advance it), and two volume/gain controls, fx balance/send knob; power on and standby switches.

10. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    I have owned two Kern preamps and had trouble with both of them. When I tried out the first one, it died two-thirds of the way through the gig. The store put a new set of tubes in it and I tried it again. It sounded great so I bought it. Two months later it started dying during the gig again. If I flipped the on/off switch, it would come back to life. I returned it to the store and exchanged it for another IP777. The second preamp had a larger power supply than the first and I thought maybe that was what was causing the problems. Three months into the second Kern, it too started dying during the gig. At that point I had enough of the Kern preamp and traded it back in for an Aguilar DB680. Its a little more complicated, but it hasn't died on the job in the year and a half I've used it.

11. For this kind of money, I find this scary.

12. Me too. And I own and love my Kern. Maybe there was a run of Kern preamps that had problems?

Call Jeff at MAE and ask him. Or I'll do that tomorrow myself. He's incredibly candid. He was the one that insisted (to Kern) that they modify my 777 to have on-board power supply and add DI ground lift at no extra charge.

13. I spoke with Jeff of MAE who is the only Florida dealer for Kern. He has sold around 30 Kern 777 preamps and has not had anybody report problems to him. Initial buyers weren't thrilled with the wallwart and lack of a ground lift on the DI but you're all aware that that can be taken care of. I have it on my preamp. I say go for it if you like the tone and controls.

14. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I have had my IP-777 since the beginning of the year (and bought it 6 mos. old used) and it hasn't given me a moment's worry and has provided hours of joy - with the Euphonic Audio VL-210B cabinets it contributes heartily to my "dream rig".

Happy Camper Bob

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I've had two Kerns and have never had a problem. I've tried everything, and can honestly say this is the best pre-amp I've used. It's become a necessary component in my rig.

As for contacting Kern, just pick up the phone. Every time I've called, Henry has answered the phone himself.

I can't say enough good things about the Kern pre-amps.

16. Hey Kern owners, what settings do you use on the Kern?

I tend to keep treble, mid and basstone controls at 12:00 except sometimes advancing the mid to 2:00, bright up, deep up or down, and tonal balance varies from 8:00 to 11:00.

I run a Sadowsky jazz 4 string through it.

17. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Generally speaking, tone controls at 12 o'clock, sometimes a tiny bit of bass roll-off and mid boost (1 o'clock). Tonal balance at 3 o'clock or floored, depending on the bass, passive usually floored.

18. Bob,

I can definitely see pushing the tonal balance with a passive bass.

My Sadowsky has such prodigious treble and bass with the on-board preamp/active EQ that I don't need to push the tonal balance and in fact cut it back as noted above. I also tend to slap and pop/pluck a lot.

19. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I keep bass and treble at 12:00 and mid around 11:00. I leave the tonal balance around 2:00.

With the uprite into the XLR input, I roll some of the bass off.

FYI - This pre-amp (with the XLR in) makes a great mic pre-amp.

20. Whoa! Great idea. What mic and what sources have you run through the Kern's XLR?

BTW, I have run my electric guitars through the Kern and get a very compressed, clean sound. Almost sterile on guitar but kind of fun effect on the tone.