Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kern IP-777

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Jan 12, 2006.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I bought a Kern IP-777 from fourstring44 last weekend, and got it today. When I bought it, I wasn't particularly looking for a preamp, but I don't think I've seen them sold used before, so I figured I'd jump on it. So this is what happened when I got it home-

I have a Peavey TKO 80. My Mesa is at my friends house, and I didn't get home til late anyway. So I plug the Kern into the "Power In" patch on the front of the Peavey. I turned both on, and I wasn't really impressed. It just sounded like the Peavey always did. So I tried recording it. I ran the Kern into my MBox, and recorded some stuff. As I recorded, I was hearing mostly string noise, as I was digging in, and the stereo wasn't that loud. So again, I thought, not a whole lot of difference, maybe I shouldn't have bought it. Then I listened to the playback. I don't even have words to describe how good it sounded. It's the tone I've been seeking for months, years now. Just a sick sound from it, nice tube grit. I haven't even played with the EQ yet, it sounds great flat. I'll see if I can post some sound clips.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, it's a great preamp, one of my faves for sure.
    I used to have a pre/power setup, and downsized to lighter head setup in last year or so. That being said, whenever I see a kern for sale I have to talk myself out of buying it.

3. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The Kern is a great pre-amp. I bought one of the very first ones and later bought as a second one a back up. I used them for a long time and always loved them. My tastes changed and I ended up getting rid of them but I'll always have a soft spot for them!

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...hook it up to a nice Crown or Crest with your cab of choice & LOOK OUT! Amazing pre...

~S~

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just to chime in again,

i'm a TOTALLY NUT about eq'ing. if a preamp doesnt have at least a semi-parametric EQ, i wont give it any mind.

but the Kern is definitely one of those few preamps that i'd actually hook up my Acme cabs, and dig in. soooooo good.

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...HEY J, go to bed!...

~S~

PS: I love my Kern more than ever, fat-tight-crisp-etc...

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good lord, i really should...

8. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    As soon as my custom banana plug cables arrive, into the Crest CA-9 the Kern goes.

I'm currently A/B/C'ing a Yamaha p5000s, QSC PLX 3402 and the Crest CA-9 with the Kern going in and then out to my two Acme Low B2s. Right now it's a toss up between the Yamaha and the QSC tone-wise, though the QSC gives me the headroom I was looking for. Got a great deal on the Crest from Bass Central. Perry was great to deal with.

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Y'all suck. I bought a Kern off a guy here on TB a few months ago, and it's had problems since the day I received it. I don't know if the seller knowingly gave me a faulty unit, or if it was damaged in transit, but it's been sent back to Les Plopa for work. I want to hear my Kern. :crying:

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @mrpackerguy,

Go with the Crest, you won't look back...

@Hollowman,

My sympathy for your ears & soul at this time...

~S~

11. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Ok, here's a sound clip

Here

Let me preface the clip real quick. This was my Sterling going into the Kern, with a slight Mid and Treble boost, and both Bright and Deep switches on, going direct into Pro Tools. The guitar is a $99 Ibanez into a Rivera Quiana. My guitarist buddy got that amp within a few days of me getting my preamp, so we recorded them at the same time.

Disclaimers: There's some pauses near the beginning of the clip, it's unedited. The parts I came up with on the spot, and we were both having off days with regards to playing, so I'm already quite aware that the playing sucks. For that I apologize, but I think the clip demonstrates the tone very well.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    IME/IMHO, the IP-777 is a truly great preamp, and one that is surprisingly responsive to tube changes. You can get a pretty wide tonal variation by using different preamp tubes.

Tom.

13. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Funny... everything you just said is my situation to a 'T'. Fortunately, Mr Bowlus no doubt has my former Kern in a good home.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm trying to treat 'er well! :D

15. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Ok, I have the sound clip posted at a new address

Right Here

So you don't have to deal with a whole mess of crap to get it, that's a link right to the mp3. Let me know what you guys think.