Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kern IP-777

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Edgar, Nov 5, 2000.

1. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I'm looking to buy a new pre-amp and one of my choice is the Kern IP-777. Some peoples told me it was just to fat. I will have the option of trying it for a week and if I don't like it to send it back. I'm curious to know if one of you owns one/have tried one and what where your impressions. Thanks!

2. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    I've actually owned two of them and had problems with both. I liked the sound of the Kern very much and it is a pleasure to work with as its very simple in its design. It is also hand made with no circut boards, it is all hard wired with quality components. I had the same problem with both units in that they would shut down in the middle of a set. If I flipped the on/off switch I could get them up again. I never got an answer as to what was causing the problem. The end result was trading for an Aguilar DB680.

3. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    The Aguilar DB680 is my other choice, let me now what you think about it. I'm sure you must like it but do you have any experience (Problems, deceptions, others...) as a user that might be useful to share? I must say that I'm suprise about the Kern fiability but this is not the kind of things manufacturers or dealers let you in. Do you get similar tone with th DB680 compare to the IP-777 (I'm sure you must have more options with the Aguilar but would you say that you can do as the Kern does and more?). Thanks!

4. I have the Kern and it sounds beautiful. I've had not problems but haven't had it that long. A touring and studio bassist that turned me on the to the Kern has dragged his all over the place and has never had a problem.

I didn't try the Aguilar because I prefer the Kern's simple layout; I didn't see the need to spend the extra $ either since the Kern sounded great and is quite versatile (albeit it can't do the dirty overdrive thang).

I ordered mine with a built in power supply (no wall wart) and a ground lift switch at no extra charge.

5. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    The Aguilar is a lot more complicated to "dial in" to your sound and costs about twice what the Kern will set you back. My main complaint with the Kern was the lack of organization that seemed present with the product. I had emailed Henry Kern requesting any info (owners manual etc.) that he could send as none of this was recieved with the preamp. After three or four emails he finally sent me a photocopy of the sales brochure for the preamp. Then the problems started with the preamps and I figured I'd get out from under them as I didn't know if the company would last. I switched to the Kern from an ART Nightbass and definitely preferred the Kern sound.

I like the fact that I can pretty much remove most sounds of fret noise using the Aguilar's parametric EQ and I like the switchable inputs on the DB680 as if I use two basses, they are both always plugged in or one bass and my wireless are always plugged in.

When I first got the Aguilar I tried to make it sound like the Kern which (IMHO) colors the sound of the bass more. I have since set the sound to be more of the Lakland's sound and use the bass to control my sound.

Hope this makes some sense to you.

6. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I call Kern Engineering to get my hand on whatever information they could send me, they said "no problems!". It's been more then a month and still nothing yet. I feel sorry for them in a way cos they seem to make a very good products but with my personnal experience and yours (customer service) and also the reliability issue, I can't help having doubts. I dont like too many knobs but I really hate paying for troubles.

7. My preamp came with brochures, warranty, etc. Sorry to hear that Kern wasn't responsive to your needs.

Laker,

The Aguilar is more transparent than the Kern? WOW! I love my Kern and it's transparency. I'd love to hear the Aguilar...but maybe I shouldn't. How much tone searching torture can one bear?!