Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kern IP777 bass preamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by xqusemuah, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Just started hearing about this unit. Anyone had any luck with this for DB and / or EB?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've had mine for almost a year. I use it primarily for electric bass, since it is part of my large rig, living in a six space SKB with an RNC compressor and QSC 2402 power amp, driving a pair of Euphonic Audio VL-210 cabinets.

It has a wonderful tube character, warm yet clean and distinct in the mix, a great combination. I typically run it flat, perhaps rolling off a very tiny bit of bass and/or adding a tweak of midrange. The contour knob on mine is usually at 3 o'clock.

I'm very pleased with my Kern and would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hey Bob, compared to these models, how would you compare the Kern to them in quality, from a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being lowest, quality construction-wise to sound-wise to feature-wise to price-wise. You seem like a knowledgeable person, so maybe I can benefit from your input.

SWR Intersteller Overdrive
    Eden Navigator
    Alembic F-1X
    Demeter HBP-1 and VTBP-201
    Avalon U5

Thanks for any advice you can give. :)

4. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I don't have enough significant experience with any other than the Eden Navigator. It is a fine preamp with the usual Eden flexibility, but I see it (and hear it) as more of an electric bass preamp.

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    heh, your wording confused me. which one would you favor as a electric bass preamp, the Eden or the Kern?

6. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Either is fine for electric bass; I play classic rock and other styles using my Kern.

I was saying that the Eden has more of an "electric bass tone", which makes it less appropriate for acoustic bass. The Kern is the better choice for use with both electric and acoustic IMHO, unless you require/prefer a more aggressive and "modern" tone for electric bass - in that case I'd lean towards the Eden and live with its tone for acoustic bass. Life is a compromise.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Alright Bob, thanks for clarifying that. And true, I can't have everything I want, nobody can, so compromises must be made. Thanks again!

8. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Finally was able to capture one of these and it is impressive...primarily using it on electric at the moment:hyper: