1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kern IP777 Tube Rolling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lobaw, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    If anyone who has tried a few different tubes in the Kern liked the results, I'd love to her about it. My Kern is on the glassy/clean side, depending on what power amp I use. I'd like to get a little bit more warmth out of it.

Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Trade it in on a Low End True Voice? ;)

I thought the Kern was supposed to sound like that. Am I wrong?

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Yes sell it to some one who really wants that POS! :eek:

I found that NOS Sylvanias really warm that thing up. This is a subtle thing as it is so warm as it is. The more modern tubes that were in it were sounding brittle and nonresponsive.
    The Sylvanias give a big fat low end and smooth treble even outside.

What tubes are you using now?

4. modulus763

modulus763

Nov 28, 2007
    Maryland
    I think Tom Bowlus did a comparison of different tubes in the Kern. Look him up.

And if it still sounds glassy and clean.....buy an SWR Interstellar Overdrive and sell that Kern to someone...(hopefully me) I need an extra..

Check out Tom...He's the man

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thank you for the kind words! :)

Check out this old thread re tube rolling in the Kern.

Tom.

6. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Hey folks, thanks for the replies. Tom, I checked-out your old thread and found some good stuff there.

It's been so long, I couldn't remember what tubes were in the thing, so I thought I'd check. Today, I was trying to take off the tube cages (I can't remember what you call them), but was having some real problems. Any suggestions on how to get the tubes out without destroying them? In any event, despite my poor old eyes and the bad light, I could see that one of the 12AX7's was a russian tube. A Sovtek, no doubt.

I couldn't get the others out and didn't want to risk damaging the thing. So those'll have to wait.

Also, I haven't purchased tubes in some time and was hopeful someone could point me in the direction of a good place to buy tubes, without spending a fortune.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to testing out some new tubes.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    You didn't own a Fender amp back in the day. :) Push in on the sleeve and turn. Remove. Grip the tube with a soft cloth and pull only work a little to the left or right to get going. When replacing sleeve small end of spring faces tube.

8. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks, Chadds. I did push in on the sleeve and turned, etc. Only one sleeve would come off. I'm not certain why the sleeves are getting hung-up. Since I've had the pre, which has been a while, I've never changed the tubes.

Hmmm? Am I missing something? In the interim, I will proceed with caution.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Then take off the lid and see what's going on. Perhaps the sleeve isn't on it's guides. Caution? Yes. These are too nice and too rare.