Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kern IP777 - updated opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Oct 14, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I bought Boggie's Kern IP777 pre. I searched through some older opinions before buysing and was impressed. What are you guys' thoughts on this pre-amp? I'm hyped. It can't get here soon enough. I love my Sansamp RBI - but an all-tube pre for my classic rock band? Fuggettabaht it!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do a search, and you'll find more than enough posts w/ me gushing about it. ;)

and FYI, the Kern is the only preamp that i use and own that doesnt have a parametric style EQ, and for moi, that's a HUGE endorsement. :p

3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Classic rock with IP-777? Great combo!

4. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I myself also went from the RBI to the Kern which I feel is the best preamp out there.. While the RBI does a nice job, you'll always be able to hear a big difference between a tube emulater and the real thing after playing the Kern...

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The Kern is HUGE! It is all about big, fat tube tone in a way that no other pre-amp is. Enjoy it!

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    great fat tubey tone.
    I used a Kern for a good while and then made the switch from pre/power setup to head in the last year, but every time I see a Kern for sale I have to talk myself out of buying it.

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My sentiments and situation exactly... I used a Kern + power amp (first PLX2402, then Boogie M180) exclusively up till about a year and a half ago, then switched to heads and still catch myself thinking about picking up another Kern + power amp. They're addictive...

8. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    I went on a preamp binge searching for "the one" last year. Started with a BMax-t (great tube warmth but too "pillowy" for my taste), then a Demeter 201S (too dry, lacked low-end booty) and a Read Purity (had a problem and had to be sent back to Jack to get fixed). While waiting for the Purity to be repaired, I scored a Kern on eBay. I can tell you, even though the repaired Purity has been back in my posession for a couple of months now, I still haven't gotten around to trying it because I can't stop playing through the Kern. It just makes me happy, clear and defined AND fat and juicy at the same time. Yummy! And the tonal variation knob gives it plenty of versatility. Plus it just looks way cool with the chicken head knobs and overall vintage-y vibe. A class act all the way. I love mine!

By the way, I play mostly classic pop/rock/R&B, using passive basses through a Schroeder 1210 or 1212 (or occasionally both, though it's overkill). The Kern suits the music perfectly...vintage tube warmth with modern clarity.

9. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks guys...talk about getting a guy stoked for the UPS guy!

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...anybody here change the tubes that came with their Kern originally for a different sound?...

~S~

11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The Kern is really such a cool piece of gear. I swore I would never sell it - and of course I did. I've got the pre amp stage of my rig well covered but it would have been cool to have kept the Kern around just for kicks.

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yep... I'm a big fan of 5751's in the Kern (in my case, some Sovteks per the recommendation of Lord Valve). They yielded a 'clearer' sound than the stock 12AX7s, i.e. 'smoother' top end, along with a more controlled / defined low end. I preferred the sound of the 5751s overall to the stock tubes. Also changed the stock 12AU7 to a Phillips 5814 IIRC.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    for kicks,

tried a pair of my prized NOS Mullards in V1 & V2, and thought the sound was HORRIBLE. too soft and pillowy. had the sonic consistency of rice pudding. not nearly as authoritative as the stock EH's.

tried a pair of NOS Jan Philips 12AX7's. was almost the complete opposite. too stiff and tight.

tried my pair of prized NOS Telefunkens, nice smooth midrange, but the bottom end seemed to be greatly attentuated, and for moi, that's a biiiiig no-no.

tried a set of NOS Mullard CV4004's, and found them to be a nice balance, but a tad more on the stiffer side. somewhere in the middle of the Mullards & JAN's, which oddly, sounded very similar to the EH's! the only real discernable difference was in cranking the treble knob, where the CV's werent nearly as brittle, but when am i ever going to use that much high end?

tried a tunsgram & JAN Phil pairing, and liked what i heard. the overall sound had a nice juicy, present lower midrange, while still a tad tight, making for a punchy sound. strangely, while great sounding in one room, really boomy annoying in the next. so trying to dial out that boom and present lower mids did become bothersome.

in the end, i stuck it out w/ the cheaper EH's. course, i'm sure the price differential evens out, since most of these NOS tubes will out last the EH's in the long run.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea,

i like the lower output of the 5751's. clarity was a nice thing to have, cause the Kern does feel a tad congested. had them in for a while, but i liked the hotter sound of the 12AX7's.

still, MG, you're makin' me wanna go back and try the ol' 5751's one more time. :cool:

btw, isnt the third 12AU7 tube just for the effects loop? not necessarily in the signal loop, no?

15. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    YOU! You're the *%@(#)&@# who bought Boogie's Kern at such an unbelievable price! I logged on in the morning and checked the FS forum... nothing. I log on FIVE HOURS LATER, and YOU have swiped the steal of the century right out from under my nose!

I've only had the chance to check one out for a few brief minutes, but I was really impressed. I hope you really enjoy it, but in case you don't, you are now morally obligated to PM me first and extend the same great deal to me! :D

16. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Right of first refusal granted.

17. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I seem to recall that, too... so the 5814 probably wasn't called into action except when I occasionally used a rack-mount compressor at the time.