Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnL, Dec 20, 2000.

1. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Ther great preamp search has widened. I heard some nice things about Kern preamps, so I did a search for threads, and found some good and not so good things reported. I TRIED to find a website, which my yahoo search turned up as, but when trying to access it, it asks for my password. What's up with that? I just wanted to take a look and get some info Anyone else had problems getting info on this company? Thanks folks!
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Never played a Kern, but I've heard enough negative that it won't bother me if I never plug into one.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The link works for me, too.

You may like Kern. I've read the good and the bad, as well. I tried one out long before I'd ever heard of Kern from anywhere else, though. It did sound awesome:D! I will say that! But, I never bought it.

As far as the negative goes, I'm not quite sure what to say about that. I believe people have the problems they state, but I also believe that most product lines have some problems somewhere along the way. I will admit, however, that when I started to hear so much negative about Kern, it was a bit disconcerting. For a preamp that is handmade, handwired, etc, I wouldn't have thought that so many people would have so much negative to say about its durability.

You may consider what you plan on using it for. If it's as fragile as some indicate, buying it for studio use should be fine. Is it roadworthy, though? Maybe some Kern users have found that it is...
  4. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    The link is working today. I tried it several times yesterday, and it kept asking for a password to access that particular server. It's a nice looking unit, but reviews seem to be mixed. Thanks, guys!
  5. :D I love my Kern. Great sound; versatile; no problems albeit I have owned it for around 7 mos. Great bang for the buck. I have an upgraded model with an IEC power supply and ground lift switch which was no extra charge. I know a touring and session bassist who has his for a looong time with NO problems. He turned me onto the Kern.

6. I have been using a Kern for about a year with no issues. I am very pleased with the sound. The fact that I can actually adjust the treble without it hissing like crazy (like several popular brands I tried...) is certainly appreciated!

I talked with Kern the other day about getting their upgraded the power supply to get rid of the wall wart. They are in the process of making a new preamp/amp combo. Tube preamp, ss amp. Should be available soon.
  7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    RE: Kern pre-amps

I've had the Kern for almost two years and I've never had a problem with it. I gig with it regularly and it's probably the piece I would worry least about in my signal chain. As for some of the negative stuff I've read about it (on this site), I think you'll find that you can probably attribute all of the those stories to one or two incidents that have perpetuated themselves (kind of like gossip does). I also believe if you look hard enough, you can find people who are unhappy with any product.

I truely love using the Kern pre-amp. I've owned or at least tried most of what's out there, and I've found nothing compares to the Kern. A bonus with the Kern is that you can use the XLR input on the front panel as a wonderful sounding mic-pre.

I hope that helps.
  8. I concur. You can take your bass, the Kern, two cables and go straight to tape.