1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kerry Hatch (Oingo Boingo) - Style and Recording

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Steviewevie95, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Hey TalkBass,

One of my favorite bassists is Kerry Hatch of early Oingo Boingo. His playing is zainy and inventive and his tone is phenomenal. I guess my main question is what would you recommend to get his tone/feel?
    I’ve trolled through the forums and have found little on Kerry which is disappointing. I’d love to know what he recorded through for that tone he gets, it cuts so perfectly through the mix. I’m pretty sure he uses a 80’s Yamaha BB and Aria Pro as basses, I think he also uses a Fender Rhodes too, but besides that I’m completely in the dark.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You need a keytar.

3. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to buy gear. Seems like it’s always the answer though! :D

I’m more interested in the recordings like Dead or Alive, Nothing to Fear, Insects, Perfect System. Etc. So stuff off the first 3 records.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's John Avila playing bass, keytar, marimba and singing backup in that video, not Kerry Hatch.
    John's damn impressive, though.

two fingers likes this.